• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How's the warchest looking?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's the warchest looking?

Grim times. Still in contract, but all other contractors have gone, and the permies are going now too.

Worrying times. How big is your warchest?

Poll to follow
    One day, two at the max
    6.98%
    up to 2 weeks
    2.33%
    2 weeks - 3 months
    20.93%
    3 months to a year
    30.23%
    1-2 years
    20.93%
    longer - I pimp AndyW's mum
    18.60%
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Mine stands at roughly 10 years now but I get nervous after 4 weeks.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
      Grim times. Still in contract, but all other contractors have gone, and the permies are going now too.

Worrying times. How big is your warchest?

Poll to follow
      What sector are you in?
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Mine stands at roughly 10 years now but I get nervous after 4 weeks.
        That concern is understandable, despite the size of the warchest - wierd isn't it?

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        What sector are you in?
        Banking - it really is batten down the hatches time at the moment where I am. Market doesn't look too hot - looks like it would be tricky to pick anything up this year if out of contract
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It's not just the size it's what you do with it that matters. [sounds familiar ]

i.e. Make sure your burn rate is as low as possible, without resorting to cardboard city and scraps from the supermarket dumpster. [that's plan F, for f****d, after all the other plans have failed ]

I once took a year off and did sod all but surf and spend. Burnt through a 60k war chest in under a year.

Though that did include a crappy plan B idea, corp tax bill, a new car, and other 'unforeseen' expenses. [unforeseen because I didn't plan ahead ]

It's better to get your outgoings reduced before hitting the bench. Then you save more during contracts too.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

It's all about reducing fixed costs before you get benched. A pal of mine I went into business with lost his contract and continued the high life. After a few months he was 15K in the hole and I had to buy him out. If cash is a problem best get those fixed costs down as soon as you know you're not going to be renewed.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I travel a lot so I'm always renting. I would like to buy something but I am not sure which is the best place long term. I don't want to buy something and never work in the area.
              Current options.
              Zurich: prices are very high and if I was not working here would cost a lot to service the debit.
              London: same as Zurich
              Dublin: prices may come down more, and job market is changeable and rates have gone lower too.

So any suggestions where to buy?
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                I travel a lot so I'm always renting. I would like to buy something but I am not sure which is the best place long term. I don't want to buy something and never work in the area.
                Current options.
                Zurich: prices are very high and if I was not working here would cost a lot to service the debit.
                London: same as Zurich
                Dublin: prices may come down more, and job market is changeable and rates have gone lower too.

Don't bother, no honest, you don't know where you're going to be so you may as well rent. Invest in a mix of shares, bonds/money, and Pina Coladas on a white sandy beach. A property is a huge millstone round the neck Just ride with the tide and chill....
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                  A place you could and want to retire too.

I personally am seriously considering parts of Istanbul. Not cheap (some areas make posh London look reasonable) but the princes islands are lovely and far nearer civilization then most other beauty spots.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    It's all about reducing fixed costs before you get benched. A pal of mine I went into business with lost his contract and continued the high life. After a few months he was 15K in the hole and I had to buy him out. If cash is a problem best get those fixed costs down as soon as you know you're not going to be renewed.
                    Fixed costs are the hard ones to cut back. Variable, or optional, spending is the one to hit hard and hit fast when you're anticipating tough times. Cut back your Sky subcription, gym membership, fancy restaurants and bars, expensive call girls etc.

Then concentrate on the more difficult items, such as utility bills.

Comment

Working...
                    X