How's the warchest looking? How's the warchest looking?

View Poll Results: How long will the warchest last?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • One day, two at the max

3 6.98%
  • up to 2 weeks

1 2.33%
  • 2 weeks - 3 months

9 20.93%
  • 3 months to a year

13 30.23%
  • 1-2 years

9 20.93%
  • longer - I pimp AndyW's mum

8 18.60%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 32

Super poster

Ruprect is too good to be a permie

Default How's the warchest looking?

Grim times. Still in contract, but all other contractors have gone, and the permies are going now too.

Worrying times. How big is your warchest?

Poll to follow
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

My post count is Majestic

MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

Mine stands at roughly 10 years now but I get nervous after 4 weeks.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

More fingers than teeth

BlasterBates - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprect View Post
    Grim times. Still in contract, but all other contractors have gone, and the permies are going now too.

Worrying times. How big is your warchest?

Poll to follow
    What sector are you in?
    I'm alright Jack

Super poster

Ruprect is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Mine stands at roughly 10 years now but I get nervous after 4 weeks.
    That concern is understandable, despite the size of the warchest - wierd isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    What sector are you in?
    Banking - it really is batten down the hatches time at the moment where I am. Market doesn't look too hot - looks like it would be tricky to pick anything up this year if out of contract
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Super poster

PAH is good enough for Jehovah!

It's not just the size it's what you do with it that matters. [sounds familiar ]

i.e. Make sure your burn rate is as low as possible, without resorting to cardboard city and scraps from the supermarket dumpster. [that's plan F, for f****d, after all the other plans have failed ]

I once took a year off and did sod all but surf and spend. Burnt through a 60k war chest in under a year.

Though that did include a crappy plan B idea, corp tax bill, a new car, and other 'unforeseen' expenses. [unforeseen because I didn't plan ahead ]

It's better to get your outgoings reduced before hitting the bench. Then you save more during contracts too.

Super poster

Lockhouse is NOT a disguised employee

It's all about reducing fixed costs before you get benched. A pal of mine I went into business with lost his contract and continued the high life. After a few months he was 15K in the hole and I had to buy him out. If cash is a problem best get those fixed costs down as soon as you know you're not going to be renewed.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Godlike

alreadypacked has more data than eek

I travel a lot so I'm always renting. I would like to buy something but I am not sure which is the best place long term. I don't want to buy something and never work in the area.
    Current options.
    Zurich: prices are very high and if I was not working here would cost a lot to service the debit.
    London: same as Zurich
    Dublin: prices may come down more, and job market is changeable and rates have gone lower too.

So any suggestions where to buy?
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

More fingers than teeth

BlasterBates - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by alreadypacked View Post
    I travel a lot so I'm always renting. I would like to buy something but I am not sure which is the best place long term. I don't want to buy something and never work in the area.
    Current options.
    Zurich: prices are very high and if I was not working here would cost a lot to service the debit.
    London: same as Zurich
    Dublin: prices may come down more, and job market is changeable and rates have gone lower too.

Don't bother, no honest, you don't know where you're going to be so you may as well rent. Invest in a mix of shares, bonds/money, and Pina Coladas on a white sandy beach. A property is a huge millstone round the neck Just ride with the tide and chill....
    I'm alright Jack

bored now

eek is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by alreadypacked View Post
    A place you could and want to retire too.

I personally am seriously considering parts of Istanbul. Not cheap (some areas make posh London look reasonable) but the princes islands are lovely and far nearer civilization then most other beauty spots.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Godlike

ChimpMaster is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by Lockhouse View Post
    It's all about reducing fixed costs before you get benched. A pal of mine I went into business with lost his contract and continued the high life. After a few months he was 15K in the hole and I had to buy him out. If cash is a problem best get those fixed costs down as soon as you know you're not going to be renewed.
    Fixed costs are the hard ones to cut back. Variable, or optional, spending is the one to hit hard and hit fast when you're anticipating tough times. Cut back your Sky subcription, gym membership, fancy restaurants and bars, expensive call girls etc.

Then concentrate on the more difficult items, such as utility bills.