• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can a contractor sue the end client for not providing the work promised ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a contractor sue the end client for not providing the work promised ?

My WRITTEN and signed contract clearly states "C# Developer" at the top yet it turns out 6+ months into a contract there has been 5% C# .Net development, the majority seems to be VBA and VB6 work which we've been reluctantly made to do.

One other contractor complained about this broken promise of C# .Net work and was promptly marched out of the building on the very same day he voiced his protest.

I was wondering is there any scope to sue the end client for misleading me into this role given it may well have an impact on my future employment getting de-skilled etc. I know you guys will say "serves you right for sticking in the role" but it was the sort of old school environment where questioning something gets you kicked out immediately (exactly what occurred to the other guy).

thanks for any advice, (even if its "you aint got a chance in hell at suing for loss of future potential earnings !)
    This is acceptable
    16.67%
    This is OK
    0.00%
    It's terrible
    8.33%
    WGAS
    25.00%
    AndyW - is that you?
    50.00%

Oh grow up.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Sockie alert!!

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
        thanks for any advice, (even if its "My god what an effing moron"!)
        FTFY

and

My god what an effing moron.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

exactly the sort of responses above I thought I'd get but does anyone know any viable means to successfully legally take action ? What recourse does a contractor have when this occurs ? it impacts people and should be stopped as it causes many problems.

Comment

exactly the sort of responses above I thought I'd get but does anyone know any viable means to successfully legally take action ? What recourse does a contractor have when this occurs ? it impacts people and should be stopped as it causes many problems.
            How many gigs have you had?
            Me, me, me...

Comment

None.

It's a B2B relationship, take it to court if you like and it will cost you thousands for nothing.

Your issue at first call is with your employer, which is you.

Comment

I'm not an expert but I'd guess the answer is "bugger all". You have been doing some c# development after all. What's wrong with VB/VBA anyway? Still plenty of money left in that area.

If it bothers you that much start looking around.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Suggests the OP goes back to permie and winghes to his new manager.

Come on, who's sockie is this?

Comment

conversely, can a client sue a contractor for not delivering the work promised? You've signed a contract to provide C# services, but 95% of the time you've been ripping them off with shoddy old VBA. I'd be wanting 95% of my remittances back.

Comment

Working...
                    X