• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancel holiday? I dont think so

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancel holiday? I dont think so

Bob team in India's idea.....
    Although, crucially, no-one here has dared mention it.

Let me think about that for one second. I cancel a holiday losing about £3K and come into work instead for considerably less than that leaving me a few £K out of pocket and, also, in the process, piss the Mrs off beyond belief and let down my 7 year old son. NO. NO. NO.

Two days to go and they decide there's something urgent that needs to be done and only I can help. Notified client of these two weeks ages ago and they confirmed it was OK.

The phrase - 'Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part' springs to mind.

This surely is taking the flexible contractor deal just a bit too far. There's being flexible and there's being taken the piss out of.

I guess I'm not the first and wont be the last this has ever happened too though.

Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Yeah I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. Nobody directly asked but I made it clear it wasn't happening!

Comment

Suggest to work from holiday location at x3 rate.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
        Yeah I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. Nobody directly asked but I made it clear it wasn't happening!
        Yeh. Sorta whats happening here.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          I was thinking more of 10x at least !!!!

But realistically, its not really something that could be done remotely all that easily.

Comment

I normally take no planned time off in a six month (or shorter) contract but if I do, it's negotiated in right at the start and it's 95% untouchable. The other 5% is thankfully because my wife is a contractor as well so she understands that if a client offered to make good the loss and paid me at such a stupid rate that I'd be daft to turn it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              I don't think his mum's basement has internet access.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
                I normally take no planned time off in a six month (or shorter) contract but if I do, it's negotiated in right at the start and it's 95% untouchable. The other 5% is thankfully because my wife is a contractor as well so she understands that if a client offered to make good the loss and paid me at such a stupid rate that I'd be daft to turn it down.
                Yeh. Same here. Wife would understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  I don't think his mum's basement has internet access.
                  LOL. I'm probably old enough to be your father for some of you....

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    LOL. I'm probably old enough to be your father for some of you....

With the questions you have previously asked that is a scary thought.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X