• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

going private . . .

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    wanted to gather opinions

couple of years into my contracting career have a two year old terror at home, missus wants to plan for her schooling and is keen to taken her down the private route, i'm not massively keen (mainly because of cost)

compromise we were looking at would be private from 3-11 then onto a grammer school (still have them in bham)

went to our 1st open day on sat, ok school nothing special, teachers and governers all seemed a little too desperate but the costs are extorinate, we're talking around £6k p/a on average up until 11 yrs old - thats a lot of money & of course whatever we do for the one, others to follow will be expecting the same treatment

Just wondering what others in a similar boat do, are there any tricks of the trade of missing? don't think there's anyway i could put it through as a business expense

i know the stock answer would be "depends how much you have value your childs' education?" and my answer to that would be "not that much"

)
    Invest in the childs education (although 3-11 may be a bit too long) a better way would be to public infants ( to get along with the lower social orders) & then Junior as private + intense coaching to get them through the 11 plus for grammar (otherwise you're looking major outlay for continuing private until 18)

Plan B if he/she fails the 11 plus emigrate

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

i'd notice £6 p/a

i think it was £1800 per term for 3 year olds, rising upto around £3k per term for 10/11 year olds, multiply that by 2, (3 if the missus gets her way) then that's a fair chunk no matter how much you're earning p/d
      Nah, that is far too much. You can help her learn to read and write, take her out for walks and explain nature etc. Once you've got basic reading skills and an interest in learning more the primary school system teaches you next to bugger all anyway. Save the cash for when she really needs it.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Total that all up and it is still less than the £2500 per month rent I was paying recently.

I can only suggest you upskill and earn some decent money as a contractor.
        you cheeky ****!!!

even at £600 p/d that would be nearly 20% of monthly income (assuming constant employment)

20%!!!

Comment

Why not see how the kid does at state school.

The fact that you're actually showing an interest in your childs education elevates you above 80% of the rest of the herd!

You should be able to spot strengths and weaknesses in your childs education and you can take appropriate action then.

In the meantime marshall your resources.

Comment

you cheeky ****!!!

even at £600 p/d that would be nearly 20% of monthly income (assuming constant employment)

20%!!!
            And then you've got my 20%
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

And then there will be child No 2 & 3 to take care of (although you can negotiate steep discounts for siblings in Private)

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                And then you've got my 20%
                Cut your prices have you Dodgy?
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'm in the same boat - wife wants to send the kids private. This is largely because where we currently live, the state secondarys are terrible.

The current 'compromise agreement' is to move to Grammar catchment (probably Kent) when firstborn is 9, then either state+private tuition or private to get them through the 11+.

The way I see it I'd rather put the money I save not going private into a bank account for them (or the child trust fund), and give them a nice house deposit when they are 25. I also like the idea of Grammars more than private schools, figure they probably get more 'drive' at a Grammar whereas private school just instills a sense of superiority....

Comment

Check the rankings of the local faith and religious schools. These can often outperfom the local grammar depending on regions. Depending on the outcome get them baptised, circumsized, indoctinated, brainwashed or whatever the entry requirements are and get them in there.

Seriously though, I am making a general comment and not making assumptions of the OP's parenting but reading books with them or sitting down with your kids to do their homework will stand him better stead for good results than throwing in to a grammar without this IMO.. Cue huge argument but that is what I think.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by amoeba View Post
                      The current 'compromise agreement' is to move to Grammar catchment (probably Kent) when firstborn is 9, then either state+private tuition or private to get them through the 11+.

Living in Kent I can say that the coaching starts a lot earlier than 9 to get them into Grammar (competition is very fierce)

Comment

Working...
                      X