• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ID Fraud - who can I complain to?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID Fraud - who can I complain to?

Just be contacted by an online retailer telling me some pikey has opened an account on credit in my name, fortunately they spotted and cancelled and informed me, but not without pikey getting some goodies first.

But, I said, how TF has someone managed to do this on their website with only name, addresss, DOB ??? Surely they do not check utility bills, proof of address etc.? Er, no.

So other than the online retailer, and here, who can I whinge at about their clearly tulip credit control procedures ?
    Last edited by moorfield; 13 October 2011, 10:46.

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Just be contacted by an online retailer telling me some pikey has opened an account on credit in my name, fortunately they spotted and cancelled and informed me, but not without pikey getting some goodies first.

But, I said, how TF has someone managed to do this on their website with only name, addresss, DOB ??? Surely they do not check utility bills, proof of address etc.? Er, no.

So other than the online retailer, and here, who can I whinge at about their clearly tulip credit control procedures ?
    Dead easy to get personal details of anyone. I have found the city council to be the most carless.

Post goes astray to neighbours or the postman steals the mail.

Call centres in India will sell your details for 50p

You can buy a passport or driving licence online for a couple of hundred pounds.

It is easy to fake utility bills.

The problem is that since the money laundering regulations came in, common sense has gone out the window. Nobody uses their brain. As long as someone has a fake driving licence and a fake utility bill they can get a loan.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

you ask the retailer to write to you & your bank confirming its an illegal transaction and has NOTHING to do with you.

Its not ID fraud its weak retailer security they used things on public record to identify you and then extended credit on that basis. ID fraud is a tag attached to suggest its your fault, you were never involved you are not responsible!

Their problem not yours, just make sure they put a note on your credit file and supply a letter absolving you from responsibility just in case the bailiffs turn up.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        you ask the retailer to write to you & your bank confirming its an illegal transaction and has NOTHING to do with you.

Its not ID fraud its weak retailer security they used things on public record to identify you and then extended credit on that basis. ID fraud is a tag attached to suggest its your fault, you were never involved you are not responsible!

Their problem not yours, just make sure they put a note on your credit file and supply a letter absolving you from responsibility just in case the bailiffs turn up.
        Reminds me, I had that. Some Joe Smith who bought good the other end of the country gave my address. The f’ing bailiff company wanted me to prove I was not Joe Smith! You can imagine what I was saying to them during my less then polite phone call to their office.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post

Check your credit file too.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

My brother recently brought a house and when they did the searches it came up with a bancrupt fella living in wales of the same name, he had to write a letter to the solicitor saying her was not this person, he lives in Cambridgeshire, i found this realy random, if your names Fred Smith it must come up with hundreds of bankrupt people, do you have to write to advise of everyone you are not

I had been living at my previous house for 5 years when i received a baliffs letter for someone who had never lived there (i was the second owner) saying they were coming round to reposses everything, i wrote and told them i had lived there for 5 years and had never heard of this person, obviously they had run up debts using that address again pretty random

Comment

Working...
            X