• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone fancy this job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hattra - No contract in two years

Just you wait till Friday hattra, I won't half sneer at you, you loser.

I didn't have a significant contract for over three and have now got one without even looking, so don't believe all that washed up after six months crap that some here peddle.

Comment

why is that? you seem like an intelligent bloke. how on earth do you cope?
      I wish I knew. One day I just stopped getting interviews. My skillset is IBM Midrange, which is not exactly leading edge, but there's still plenty of sites out there using iSeries/ AS400 kit.

I'd like to retrain (.NET would do me ), but then you run into problems with not having enough experience in the skillset, and the money you spend on training is wasted.

As for coping, well, Mrs. Hattra works, I've driven a taxi and stretch limos, done the Christmas Post and I get the occasional day's PC work, usually removing viruses or installing broadband.

Careful Xog - I live near you - I might have to come over and sort you out - might not recognise you, but your goat's a dead giveaway (I bet you live around Nutley - all those free-range sheep, eh!)

Congrats on the contract BTW

Comment

you should give dotnot a go.

as we all know, it's the future. it's easy to set yourself up with a dev environment and take it from there. see how far you can get on your own. there are several very good websites that support the platform where you can pick up everything you need to be a guru.

Comment

you run into problems with not having enough experience in the skillset
          Simple; lie. Take a project you did and simply change the technology involved. So your last C project suddenly becomes a C# and .Net development.

Comment

Yeah - might have to do that, unfortunately they don't do an RPG.NET, so I might not be that convincing

Comment

> they don't do an RPG.NET

www2.asna.com/showtext.aspx?fn=infodocs/info_avr_01.html

Comment

fiddle,

Thanks, I stand corrected - I'd forgotten about ASNA - they're usually a couple of years ahead of IBM (IBM have incorporated quite a lot of ASNA code into their own products in the past).

I don't know how widespread the usage is, but it could have a future - there's a lot of RPG shops out there (and iSeries machines make pretty decent servers - mind you, for what they cost, they should!)

Comment

I don't know anything about it or if it has a future - I just guessed there'd be something so did a search.

I'm still trying to find a working development platform for 1410 autocoder .NET

Comment

1410 autocoder .NET
                    I think you're out of luck there, fiddle - ask threaded - he can probably get one of his students to whip one up in a couple of hours

Comment

Don't really fancy sheep. I think this stems from the time when I was camping on Bodmin Moor and tried to catch one. Almost succeeded but it ate my boxers and ran off. I think it had Schizoid personality disorder. It seemed very humourless and distant to me. Then I couldn't find my tent.

Comment

Working...
                      X