• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reliving my youth

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reliving my youth

Which kind of radio control model should I buy myself? I fancy a racing car although I won't really have time to go to meetings. On the other hand doodab jr is getting older and will soon be old enough to come with me.

Perhaps a helicopter would be more sensible for now.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Which kind of radio control model should I buy myself? I fancy a racing car although I won't really have time to go to meetings. On the other hand doodab jr is getting older and will soon be old enough to come with me.

Car and build it yourself - get into practice for replacing parts you bend/break.

Helicopter takes a lot of space and practice to learn to fly effectively.

Comment

AoWei 1/5th Scale Petrol Radio Control Yama Buggy 2.4Ghz (Model)

Get one of these they go like a rocket, 2 stroke mix petrol no buying special fuel (just change the servos for better ones straight out the box though) hours of fun and they go everywhere

Helicopter much easier to learn than they used to be but be prepaired to fork out on broken bits

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
        AoWei 1/5th Scale Petrol Radio Control Yama Buggy 2.4Ghz (Model)

Get one of these they go like a rocket, 2 stroke mix petrol no buying special fuel (just change the servos for better ones straight out the box though) hours of fun and they go everywhere

Helicopter much easier to learn than they used to be but be prepaired to fork out on broken bits
        Bloody hell! That's not a bad price!

WHS, deffo on high-torque servos for the steering.

Comment

CAR

I’m thinking of a car also.

I remember seeing an article that apparently there are loads of amateur clubs who race the radio controlled clubs – there is one near me that meets at a local leisure centre.

Just worry this is a step towards weird middle aged geek!!

Comment

Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post
            Just worry this is a step towards weird middle aged geek!!
            With the first step being posting on here?

& no age does not bother me & I am a geek in many ways
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

I'm still waiting for the Blue Thunder to come out. Then I could use whisper mode and the camera to get some choice vids of the fit neighbours buffing their muff.

Maybe that's why they haven't done one yet.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I want to design and build my own Ekranoplan...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Car and build it yourself - get into practice for replacing parts you bend/break.
                  Yes, I wouldn't go for a pre built one. The building and tinkering is half the fun, and I'd want to choose my own electrics as well. I used to race when I was younger and I would want something roughly equivalent so that I could go racing again. I think it would be good to do with my son as well.

I still have the one I used to race, it should run fine if I get a new battery pack and charger but it needs a few replacement parts, the motor needs a proper rebuild and at some point the standard size of wheels and tires changed so it might be hard to find suitable rubber for racing. I do have quite a lot of bits on my ebay watch list though

I had one of the cheap indoor helicopters, it was fun but the brushed motor needed replacing after 20 goes or so, so I was thinking of getting something with a proper radio control (most of the cheaper ones use infra red) and spares available so that it can be rebuilt / upgraded i.e. one of the align or e-flite ones. It would have to be indoor sized though, which I've heard are harder to learn on because they are less stable.

Blade mSR RTF (EFLH3000): Blade - #1 By Design

TREX 100S Super Combo Kit KX022005 - Helicopter Kits Align T-Rex 100 - ALIGN-TREX.co.uk
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Yes, I wouldn't go for a pre built one. The building and tinkering is half the fun, and I'd want to choose my own electrics as well. I used to race when I was younger and I would want something roughly equivalent so that I could go racing again. I think it would be good to do with my son as well.

I still have the one I used to race, it should run fine if I get a new battery pack and charger but it needs a few replacement parts, the motor needs a proper rebuild and at some point the standard size of wheels and tires changed so it might be hard to find suitable rubber for racing. I do have quite a lot of bits on my ebay watch list though

I had one of the cheap indoor helicopters, it was fun but the brushed motor needed replacing after 20 goes or so, so I was thinking of getting something with a proper radio control (most of the cheaper ones use infra red) and spares available so that it can be rebuilt / upgraded i.e. one of the align or e-flite ones. It would have to be indoor sized though, which I've heard are harder to learn on because they are less stable.

Blade mSR RTF (EFLH3000): Blade - #1 By Design

TREX 100S Super Combo Kit KX022005 - Helicopter Kits Align T-Rex 100 - ALIGN-TREX.co.uk
                    If you do get yourself an electric-heli try and stretch to one with a collective control. Give you some practice for when you get a bigger nitro-powered one...

Comment

Working...
                    X