What Sort Of Flat Would You Go For? What Sort Of Flat Would You Go For?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 22

Banned

DeludedAussie has no reputation

Default What Sort Of Flat Would You Go For?

I am just thinking what I would like and am after some knowledge from the more popular posters.

If you could choose to buy a flat which is on one floor or you could choose to buy a flat which is split into two floors which would you prefer?

Assume both are the same size

Does having a split floor and stairs make the flat seem bigger or smaller? I suppose that you have to deduct the size of the staircase when it is split

The flat is small - About 50 square metres

Pilchard

Cliphead has more data than eek

A flat has one floor or it's not a flat.

Never live in the ground floor.

My post count is Majestic

NickFitz has reached the peak. Play again?

Two floors makes it a maisonette

Contractor Among Contractors

Freamon is too good to be a permie

Get one that's all on one floor. Otherwise as NickFitz says it's a maisonette, and if you constantly have to say the word "maisonette" you'll sound like a batty.
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Waldorf is a permanent contractor

I would agree, avoid ground floor flats and preferably have a top floor flat, you avoid noise from above then.

Freamon is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
    I would agree, avoid ground floor flats and preferably have a top floor flat, you avoid noise from above then.
    It isn't always all bad. Last flat I had the only noise I ever heard was the fit bird (who lived on her own in the flat above) enjoying solo activities.
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Fingers like lightning

v8gaz is a permanent contractor

Flat? Isn't this a contractors forum?

System Manager

Sysman is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
    My experience at college was that noise travels upwards, and I chose a first floor room above a void.

But without students to contend with, top floor as long as there's a reliable lift.
    Last edited by Sysman; 27th November 2011 at 11:24. Reason: added "reliable"
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Either the top or the ground floor.

The top if the building has two or three floors and you never have problems walking up the stairs. As you don't have any neighbours above you. Even if the building has a lift, lifts break and also they are expensive to maintain. (BTW I would never buy a flat in a building with more than 3 floors.)

The ground floor if you can have a garden, the lease has a condition that people cannot have hard floors and you have problems walking up stairs. Also the front needs to be higher than the pavement outside or have a front garden to stop nosey passers by having a look in.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Super poster

PAH is good enough for Jehovah!

Don't get a top floor one if there's no loft space above, even if it has plenty of windows. It will be a sweatbox in summer due to the heat soak through the roof.

Unless they've used whatever super-duper insulation one of my cousins lined his loft conversion with. It was pretty thin stuff, silver backed like a posh padded tinfoil, but cost ~£100 per square metre. Worked though.

Ground floor is crap as you can't leave the windows open when you pop out, and will have people looking in if it's near a pathway.

Middle floors are crap as you have noise from at least three sides.

So overall flats are crap. Especially when they have you over a barrel with the service charges.