• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TV shows from the USA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    I Really enjoy the episodes that are focused on Mikey and his run ins with Hector Salamanca. Great that Gus Fring, played by the excellent Giancarlo Esposito, is back in the show too.

Does the show stand up in its own right or only work if you've watched Breaking Bad and remember all the story lines? I intend re-watching BB first to refresh my memory of all the characters when they first appeared.

I tend to not bother with prequels. If the story was that good they'd have started the original show/movie that early. At least this is a spin-off not a true prequel so hopefully more scope for surprises, though we know who will survive into the BB story lines.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Does the show stand up in its own right or only work if you've watched Breaking Bad and remember all the story lines? I intend re-watching BB first to refresh my memory of all the characters when they first appeared.
      Yep. It's not that connected with BB. With the third series they've introduced some more of the BB characters, like Pokey said, but I've enjoyed those parts less and find the lawyering more interesting.

I don't know how long they're going to spin it out as at some point he's going to have to become the Saul Goodman we remember from BB. Of course he already looks older than he was in BB.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Anyone watch Ray Donovan?
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Yep. It's not that connected with BB. With the third series they've introduced some more of the BB characters, like Pokey said, but I've enjoyed those parts less and find the lawyering more interesting.

I don't know how long they're going to spin it out as at some point he's going to have to become the Saul Goodman we remember from BB. Of course he already looks older than he was in BB.
          I don't know how well it would stand up if you were ignorant of BB as it's a massive Homage to the show and clearly aimed at the same viewers. If you didn't like BB, probably this isn't for you. If you never watched BB, it would be really interesting to watch this first and then view BB as the spin off for afterwards!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            Anyone watch Ray Donovan?
            Yep. Love it; best thing on by a country mile.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I think if you haven't got into it by now, you won't. If Don's character doesn't grab you and the period setting and heavy drinking is uninteresting... themes develop but that's the foundation of the show.

It's quite weird. It's trying to be some serious show but it's almost slapstick (in the first series, it gets very violent and grim later). I think like Mad Men, if the setting and key characters don't grab you then it's just not your thing. The story arcs only get more far-fetched.
              I get the period thing - that's why I liked Boardwalk Empire so much but there was so much more going on in that show, much better characters too. With Mad Men, you think there's finally a germ of a plot and then it just fizzles out. Maybe it al comes together in season 2 but Im afraid Im finding watching it a chore so that's it for me.

Comment

If anything I'd say the first season is the best as it has all the fresh novelty. The later seasons get a bit tired to me so I'd say don't bother, there's a lot of episodes.

Comment

However this book is really good: The Real Mad Men: The Remarkable True Story of Madison Avenue's Golden Age

Comment

I don't know if any of you have been watching it but I'm thoroughly enjoying Riverdale on Netflix.

It's the well trodden standard high school teen formula with the usual type of characters; the cheerleaders, the alpha female sorority gal, the alpha male fooball team jock, the nerd and all with plenty of action taking place in the school locker room.

A lot like Scream, in other words but without the slasher and a lot more subtle. It has more of a gothic feel to it.

Highly recommended.

Comment

In the vein of shows that have been cancelled too soon:

Started watching RAKE with Greg Kinnear, US remake of an Australian show, was hoping for a bit of sucess similar to Wilfred (another US remake of an Oz show) but Rake was cancelled after one season
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X