• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TV shows from the USA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently watching "Comrade detective" scarily its reaffirming my cynicism for communism. its an original Romanian series so its fairly true to life.

Its a laugh a minute.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Currently watching "Comrade detective" scarily its reaffirming my cynicism for communism. its an original Romanian series so its fairly true to life.

Its a laugh a minute.
      Comrade Detective - Wikipedia

Comrade Detective is an American buddy cop series created by Brian Gatewood and Alessandro Tanaka. The show follows the premise of popular US action/cop-buddy films and television shows from the 1980s and presents the episodes as a fictional lost Romanian television show commissioned by the Communist Party to promote a communist worldview during the Cold War. Every episode was filmed in Romania using local actors and then dubbed into English as part of the effect.[1] It was released on Amazon Video on August 4, 2017.

Channing Tatum and Jon Ronson present the show as if it were an actual influential Romanian television show from the 1980s. Produced by the Romanian communist government, it served as a device to promote a communist worldview opposed to Western capitalism and imperialism during the Cold War. Lost over the years, producers recently found surviving copies of the episodes. With the help of the fictional Romanian Film Preservation Society they have restored the episodes and dubbed them into English.

Within the show hard-boiled but troubled Bucharest police detective Gregor Anghel and his partner respond to a drug bust against the orders of their Captain. This results in a man in a Ronald Reagan mask killing his partner in front of him. Anghel, along with his new partner from the countryside Iosif Baciu, must solve his partner's murder. In doing so, they uncover an insidious western plot to indoctrinate Romanian society with capitalism and religion.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Its a laugh a minute.
        If you like that documentary, there's another one called The Office. Its quite old now, but worth the watch. The main guy they follow around is so unbelievable, you'd struggle to believe he's actually real!

They made an American version of it too, but I suspect that was more along the line of one of those scripted-documentaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

oops wasn't paying attention.

No such word as gullible in the dictionary
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

oops wasn't paying attention.

No such word as gullible in the dictionary
            I first noticed something fishy when I watched the trailer, although the Romanian language daubed into English was OK, a voice on the phone was a American with an obviously fake Romanian accent. Romanian is a tricky accent to imitate.

Here is an interesting write-up.

How Channing Tatum Ended Up in '''Comrade Detective,''' the Craziest TV Show of 2017 | GQ
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Just been reminded that The Boys season 2, first 3 episodes, are available from today on Amazon Prime Video.

Rest of the season to be made available one episode each Friday, for some reason.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                Just been reminded that The Boys season 2, first 3 episodes, are available from today on Amazon Prime Video.

Rest of the season to be made available one episode each Friday, for some reason.
                Never really got into the first season, maybe I need to give it another try.

Comment

This is UK, not US, sorry

Looking forward to Des - a three parter on ITV starting on Monday. All about the killer Dennis Nilsen with David Tenant playing the lead, and he looks uncannily like him with the glasses and hair do.

Des actor David Tennant "relieved" Nilsen isn't alive to see ITV drama - Radio Times

Comment

Hap and Leonard on Amazon Prime.

80's styled dark comedy drama. It only ran for three series which is a shame as it's bloody good once you get past the first episode (ponderous and patchy scripting). I finished the first series earlier this week and dropped into series 2 last night for a quick episode... I ended up watching it all in a oner.

Would recommend.
                    Last edited by wattaj; 5 September 2020, 08:49. Reason: Clarity.
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I started watching Absentia last night on Amazon. Just Episode 1. Not a new series, CBA to see if anyone mentioned it previously.

FBI agent goes missing and is declared dead in absentia. Husband moves on, marries again, the young kid she has only knows the new woman as his mother. Then one day the husband gets an anonymous call to say his dead wife is alive and has about 60 minutes to live. And alive she is, in a box of some watery fluid in a remote barn.

Then the questions start when her DNA is discovered on a series of dead bodies...

Comment

Working...
                      X