• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Them USB flash thingies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a Janey free thread.

Please stick to the topic. X-ray machines and Flash memory devices.

Thank you.

Comment

One of mine was in the pocket of a pair of trousers that went through the wash.

I left it in the airing cupboard for three days, plugged it into the PC and it worked fine, continues to do so in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn

Thank you.
        Apparently Janey has Flash Mammaries, does that count..... hang on a mo Sas with you in a sec.....
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Master
          Fortunately most security conscious airports won't let you not put a laptop or whatever through the scanner. If you start making a fuss at the scanner they say, "look, sir, you've got three choices - put it through the scanner, go back and check it in as hold luggage, or leave it here with me to dispose of down the local pub as soon as I'm off-duty".
          All airports I have used in the last couple of years - with the exception of UK - insist it's removed from ithe carrier and placed through the scanner on its own. Montreal onve were asking everybody to power them up. Boy does that slow down security.

Comment

Originally posted by The Master
            Fortunately most security conscious airports won't let you not put a laptop or whatever through the scanner.
            I must be generally lucky then, normally when i refuse they just bring me over to a different scanner that is designed just for scanning things like laptops without damageing them (they don't have them on every entry point as they are more expensive) or do a manual inspection themselves.

Only airport i had a problem with was Minnesota about 6 months after 9/11 and quickly put end to that by saying they could put it the scanner...if they gave me 5 mins to draw up a document that they would be responsible for any damage and they were willing to sign it

Would never put a laptop the hold lugguage, seen how they treat bags there plus there your stuff should be still going though a scanner

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn

Thank you.

hee hee hee hee,
              "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Originally posted by janey
                hee hee hee hee,
                A little thick-skinned, aren't you?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                  A little thick-skinned, aren't you?
                  wot, like one of them Lizards
                  Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
                    All airports I have used in the last couple of years - with the exception of UK - insist it's removed from ithe carrier and placed through the scanner on its own. Montreal onve were asking everybody to power them up. Boy does that slow down security.
                    Had that a couple of times as well.

What does it prove though? Any terrorist smart enough could simply bring along one of those desktop style notebooks with a multi-compartment bay and some C4/Semtex stuffed inside and they wouldn't know the difference.

Edit: perhaps that's why MacBooks used to display a little bomb logo when then crashed.
                    Last edited by Joe Black; 3 May 2006, 17:06.

Comment

X-Rays can kill FLASH memory dead - permanently. X-Rays are relatively high energy and can penetrate the chip casing because of the short wavelength. This causes the memory cells to get ionised which changes the data consequentially ******* up the filesystem on the device. If enough energy is applied the transistor junction will break down. FLASH is mass produced poorly manufactured crap these days so it's more prone to trouble.
                      Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                      X