• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Pub vol. CII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Pub vol. CII

Such a busy day that I forgot it was Monday; as a result, I'm having to get this lot together in the pub, without access to any of my archived links. This is what you get when I have to glance at the history in my iPad's browser (three or four from there), then go digging around the net almost at random:
    • Quotes from the NATO Software Engineering Conference in 1968 - "Sometimes we forget that other people have faced the same problems we face today in software development." Peter Krantz adduces a selection of quotes from forty-three years ago which could have been coined yesterday.

• «Once Upon» - "Three important contemporary web sites, recreated with technology and spirit of late 1997" - in case you'd ever wondered what Google, YouTube and Facebook would have looked like back then. For added realism, their server is throttled to serve the pages and graphics at dialup speeds

• On the impracticality of a cheeseburger. - "A cheeseburger cannot exist outside of a highly developed, post-agrarian society..." Waldo Jaquith explains why.

• I know what you downloaded on BitTorrent... - "Most people know that BitTorrent is far from anonymous, but seeing all your recent downloads listed on a public website is still quite a revelation. This is exactly what Youhavedownloaded.com does. The developers of the site want to make people aware of the public nature of BitTorrent, and are currently working on a more anonymous version of the leading file-sharing technology."

• Ten Things Everyone Should Know About Time - "“Time” is the most used noun in the English language, yet it remains a mystery." Here's the important bits

• Great Photographers on the Internet - "Bonjour Henri [Cartier-Bresson], assuming you are French, or at least understand it. This is a great capture, I love the composition and the dog. We had a dog that looked kind of like that one once. Your problem here is that your AF has focused on the wrong place..." This is what would happen if CUK had a photography forum and great photographers of history frequented it.

• Proof and Techniques for the Ultimate MS Paint Drawing - Stanley William Moore devoted a hundred hours of effort to creating a proper drawing in Paint. Naturally, the Internet then slagged him off for it. Nonetheless, he was happy to explain how it was done: "All together, I basically used those techniques to make the whole thing. I'm going to probably add some more later if I feel like it. I'm sure there are typos and bad punctuation, but I don't care right now, I'll fix it later."

• Anglo-Saxon attitudes - "Britain and America: not such special friends." A survey by The Economist compares British and American attitudes; this was before the economy had gone totally titsup and when we still had a Labour government, giving it the status of a historical document.

• R We D8ting? - "The orange message light on my cellphone started blinking as I was getting ready for bed. Barely an hour had passed since our quick kiss goodnight at the subway, and I was surprised to see the screen light up with the initials I'd just entered into my phone." Sadly, Sandra Barron's text-based relationship turned rapidly into a crock of tulip, although the warning signs were there from the start: ...he said he worked intense hours as a freelancer so he could take months off at a time to travel

• Future Drama - "Taking another look at yesterdays future." Nice collection of corporate visions of tomorrow from yesterday.

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    [*]I know what you downloaded on BitTorrent... - "Most people know that BitTorrent is far from anonymous, but seeing all your recent downloads listed on a public website is still quite a revelation. This is exactly what Youhavedownloaded.com does. The developers of the site want to make people aware of the public nature of BitTorrent, and are currently working on a more anonymous version of the leading file-sharing technology."
    "Hi. We have no records on you.

This means you are using a private torrent tracker or, of course, you may not be a torrent user at all! It happens."

Interesting...
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

This means you are using a private torrent tracker or, of course, you may not be a torrent user at all! It happens."

Interesting...
      I got that too, but I don't know enough about how BitTorrent works to know how substantive their original premise is. I'm hoping to find out if it's all bollocks or not from the comments here

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        «Once Upon» - "Three important contemporary web sites, recreated with technology and spirit of late 1997" - in case you'd ever wondered what Google, YouTube and Facebook would have looked like back then. For added realism, their server is throttled to serve the pages and graphics at dialup speeds
        Google+ Nick, not Google.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This means you are using a private torrent tracker..."
          I got that too... I don't like the cut of your jib, youhavedownloaded.com, not everyone is a pirating spiv!
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Interesting...
            WHS
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Google+ Nick, not Google.
              Ah well, close enough

Comment

•Proof and Techniques for the Ultimate MS Paint Drawing - Stanley William Moore devoted a hundred hours of effort to creating a proper drawing in Paint. Naturally, the Internet then slagged him off for it. Nonetheless, he was happy to explain how it was done: "All together, I basically used those techniques to make the whole thing. I'm going to probably add some more later if I feel like it. I'm sure there are typos and bad punctuation, but I don't care right now, I'll fix it later."
                Looks like a scene from "HalfLife" or one of the other graphic adventure programs.

Comment

Initials That Meant More Than They Realized

Initials That Meant More Than They Realized - Mental Floss

love the M$ one
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X