• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

better off in the public sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

better off in the public sector

it seems that to get the equivalent of Public Sector pension you would need to put 50% of your private sector pay into a pension fund and even then it would be subject to the vagaries of the stock market unlike the guaranteed PS inflation linked one

so am considering going for a Public Sector job

£45k job is really a £67.5k real job plus 8 weeks paid holiday a year plus paid sick days plus flexi time plus no pressure to deliver plus live at home

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    it seems that to get the equivalent of Public Sector pension you would need to put 50% of your private sector pay into a pension fund and even then it would be subject to the vagaries of the stock market unlike the guaranteed PS inflation linked one

£45k job is really a £67.5k real job plus 8 weeks paid holiday a year plus paid sick days plus flexi time plus no pressure to deliver plus live at home
    Not sure where you get the 8 weeks paid holiday, 5 if your lucky and then maybe a increase after working there for god knows how many years.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

And still they go on strike.

Belgian public sector are going on strike today because they'll have to retire at 62 instead of 60!
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You win the prize for this weeks 'No shit Sherlock' competition.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Would you really want to be a civil servant though? it's not that great

Outdated tech
          Politics
          Lack of decision making

But to name a few, I found my time in the CS very frustrating
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
            Would you really want to be a civil servant though? it's not that great

Outdated tech
            Politics
            Lack of decision making

But to name a few, I found my time in the CS very frustrating
            True, although you can come across the same crap in multinationals some of them do at least give you the authority to take decisions and get things done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              And still they go on strike.

Belgian public sector are going on strike today because they'll have to retire at 62 instead of 60!
              It doesn't matter how good your deal is, you would be narked if they make it less good.

Hence American Football/Basketball leagues threatening not to play for a whole season because players are asked to play an extra couple of games per season for the same money... $millions/year but it's (they say) a point of principle.

Or if you are on £1000/day and they impose a 10% rate cut - you'd still be annoyed.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                It doesn't matter how good your deal is, you would be narked if they make it less good.

Hence American Football/Basketball leagues threatening not to play for a whole season because players are asked to play an extra couple of games per season for the same money... $millions/year but it's (they say) a point of principle.

Or if you are on £1000/day and they impose a 10% rate cut - you'd still be annoyed.
                Yep, but given the economic circumstances it's pretty clear that there have to be savings; it's not fair, but it's necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Not sure where you get the 8 weeks paid holiday, 5 if your lucky and then maybe a increase after working there for god knows how many years.
                  A government department I worked at used to have charts on the wall for the staff to book time off sick in advance when I was there many years ago. I would doubt that they have stopped doing that...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    A government department I worked at used to have charts on the wall for the staff to book time off sick in advance when I was there many years ago. I would doubt that they have stopped doing that...
                    They're long gone, they now use an excel spreadsheet.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X