• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plasma or LED/LCD ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Same with the halogens in the kitchen also replaced with LED's - energy efficient but makes kitchen seem like a mortuary....
    Yes, but it's not just the lighting, is it?

Comment

Just get the best you can find for around 500 quid and save the rest towards the next generation stuff like OLED that offer best of all worlds. Should be out any time now.

Seems the fashion is currently fake, whether it be over saturated images (LCD), over loud music (MP3), or silicon boobs.

Real men prefer more natural images (plasma), natural sounds (vinyl), and natural boobs.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

When I bought just over a year ago I chose a Samsung plasma. This was reputedly a close second-best to a Panasonic plasma for quality, but it cost a third less and was much better looking than the Panasonic. (Model was actually C7000, not sure if model numbers have changed since then. Also I think Panasonics are now better looking. Would also look at LG plasma as I think they might have a model with narrow frame, which might mean you can get more inches of picture in a given space. Don't know what their quality is like.)

I'm very happy with the quality of my Samsung. I would definitely get plasma again if mine blew up today.

Don't be put off by comments about heat and electiricity comsumption, plasma technology has advanced and this not really an issue any more. My plasma had average electriciy consumption only about 40W more than LCD/LED, when I looked into this.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          OTOH I've never seen a plasma that looked as sharp as the best LCDs.
          Sure any two panels with the same number of pixels displaying the same picture (with a resolution that matches the panels) must have the same level of sharpness?

On a related note, I recall reading somewhere that there's some intrinsic shortcoming of LCD/LED that means its resolution is effectively lowered compared to plasma. I think it's something to do with not being able to keep up with fast-changing scenes, for example in sport.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
            Sure any two panels with the same number of pixels displaying the same picture (with a resolution that matches the panels) must have the same level of sharpness?
            If that were true, there'd be no difference between any brand or model of TV. I think LCD can more accurately represent colours, which is better if you have blocks of solid colour, like graphics (or for PC monitors). Plasma always looks softer, more like a CRT, which is perhaps better for representing the real world - but that's a personal taste thing.

On a related note, I recall reading somewhere that there's some intrinsic shortcoming of LCD/LED that means its resolution is effectively lowered compared to plasma. I think it's something to do with not being able to keep up with fast-changing scenes, for example in sport.
            How fast does a scene change? TV is 25fps, or 50, sort of, so that's 20ms per frame. That might have been a problem for early PC monitors, but these days they all have <2ms refresh rates.

I think the answer is to go look. When I bought a TV 6 months ago, I couldn't have bought a plasma in the size I wanted anyway.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Last edited by sasguru mutant clone bot; 26 April 2014, 18:10.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post

much of the difference between screen is the software thats driving them. There is all kinds of funky image algorithms running to make the picture look better.
                As for Plasma - i hate the screen burn. leave one on pause for a couple of minutes and see what i mean. I gave my 50" plasma to a mate of mine to get rid of it.. Not a fan of Plasma, and IMO the Samsung 8000 series is a very capable bit of kit easily capable of displaying rapidly changing images.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Hey all

Been reading up on AVForums but need some real input from my fellow contractors. I am in need of a new TV for the main lounge in our house and am looking at a 47" to 55" max size TV, either Plasma or full backlit LED - which is what I thought I preferred due to lower power consumption and weight/width.

However, according to AVForums it would appear that the LED TVs suffer from a number of issues, so I was wondering if you had any experience of these TVs. There don't appear to be any decent sales on, but I'm not bothered about 3D so my ~£1,200 budget would appear to be enough.

Any recommendations or experiences would be welcome!
                  Probably the folk on AVF know rather more than contractors with more money than sense I also recommend finding proper reviews for comparison.

Your budget is mid range for that screen size so to be honest simply finding the best review score on Amazon might be as decent a way as anything!

LED: Samsung UE55D6100 55-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
                  Plasma: Samsung PS59D550 59-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Look up the Samsung "UE46D8000" best looking TV on the market IMO.. (thats why i bought one!)

Comment

Popped out to my local Currys to see the TVs first hand. and must admit I liked the look of the 60 inch LEDs - but I'll go for the Sammy PS59 plasma instead I reckon. It was also the first time I got to check out 3D, and I was pleasantly surprised! I didn't realise it was so clear and sharp, especially for computer animations/cartoons etc. I was still thinking of days gone by when I used to wear green and red glasses to see some crappy pic in 3D

My 3 year old daughter tried the 3D glasses on and ran away crying because she was scared that the man in the TV was coming out of the TV to get her

So anyway, the PS59 6900 or whatever is about £1300, is full HD and 3D and a whopping 59" - just about right for my ego lounge.

@ThunderLiz - Yes you're right indeed, I went through this a few years back but this is now the 4th flat TV in our house, and it'll be 3 plasmas to 1 LCD. I just wondered if LED was any good, but I don't think full backlit LED is worth the extra money over plasma.

Comment

Working...
                      X