Plasma or LED/LCD ? Plasma or LED/LCD ?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 45

Godlike

ChimpMaster is NOT a disguised employee

Default Plasma or LED/LCD ?

Hey all

Been reading up on AVForums but need some real input from my fellow contractors. I am in need of a new TV for the main lounge in our house and am looking at a 47" to 55" max size TV, either Plasma or full backlit LED - which is what I thought I preferred due to lower power consumption and weight/width.

However, according to AVForums it would appear that the LED TVs suffer from a number of issues, so I was wondering if you had any experience of these TVs. There don't appear to be any decent sales on, but I'm not bothered about 3D so my ~£1,200 budget would appear to be enough.

Any recommendations or experiences would be welcome!

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

I'd recommend getting Plasma in 40 watt range.

Super poster

nomadd is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Hey all

Been reading up on AVForums but need some real input from my fellow contractors. I am in need of a new TV for the main lounge in our house and am looking at a 47" to 55" max size TV, either Plasma or full backlit LED - which is what I thought I preferred due to lower power consumption and weight/width.

However, according to AVForums it would appear that the LED TVs suffer from a number of issues, so I was wondering if you had any experience of these TVs. There don't appear to be any decent sales on, but I'm not bothered about 3D so my ~£1,200 budget would appear to be enough.

Had my heart set on an LCD a few years back, but couldn't stand the 'motion' issues. Went Pioneer Kuro plasma in the end. Shame is you can't get them any more. Check out the latest Panasonic plasmas, as they are supposed to be getting close to the old Kuro's these days (they bought the tech off Pioneer.)
    nomadd liked this post

Super poster

ctdctd has more data than eek

IMO, Plasma for better viewing angles and motion performance.

LED back-lit LCD seems to have the edge on vividness / brightness.

Oh, and HD plasma will heat the room rather better than LCD!

Godlike

Paddy is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Hey all

However much you pay for a TV; it will not increase the quality of the utter crap that is broadcast.
    Brexiteers remind me of religious fanatics, only faith, no facts.

Fingers like lightning

filthy1980 's job has never been outsourced

the latest samsung 8000 series has a quality picture, gutted it came out a few weeks after i'd bought my sharpe LED you might want to check them out

and if your after discreetness, the samsung's are compatible with the picture frame style mounting brackets which will get it as flush to the wall as is possible without a chisel and hammer

Lord of the Vectras

VectraMan - scorchio!

It has to be said, my Sony "LED" LCD is a bit rubbish at anything that's dark, and doesn't have great viewing angles either. But bright pictures do look great. OTOH I've never seen a plasma that looked as sharp as the best LCDs.

LED backlighting was meant to solve the problem of LCD. By having lots of individual lights rather than one big one, it would be able to dim the light for one area of the screen whilst keeping the bright bits bright. Unfortunately, some marketing type person realised LEDs round the edge would mean you could make TVs thin, and people like electronics that are thin rather than good, so that's what we have now. "LED" Tvs are no better than the old LCDs with a big flourescent tube at the back; they're just thinner.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

More time posting than coding

Joeman has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by filthy1980 View Post
    the latest samsung 8000 series has a quality picture, gutted it came out a few weeks after i'd bought my sharpe LED you might want to check them out

and if your after discreetness, the samsung's are compatible with the picture frame style mounting brackets which will get it as flush to the wall as is possible without a chisel and hammer
    Yep, thats the one i have hanging over my fireplace. its a really nice stylish bit of kit. excellent picture and doesnt heat the room like my old 50inch plasma used to!
    highly recommend the Samsung 8000.. many cool features that i wont bore you with unless you really want to know

Prehistoric

thunderlizard is too good to be a permie

Last edited by thunderlizard; 27th December 2011 at 23:01. Reason: I like editing things

Double Godlike!

stek - scorchio!

I've replaced my 2007 24" iMac with a 2011 27" LED one - I find the lighting too clinically bright, it's like a fluorescent tube. Same with the halogens in the kitchen also replaced with LED's - energy efficient but makes kitchen seem like a mortuary....