• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Riddle me this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    LTO-5 - current standard, around 1.5 TB uncompressed per tape, bought over 150 of those last month.

HTH
    Thanks for the info. Without doubt will come in useful at some point (if there are parallel universes).

However, I will refer any future issues with permies/tapes etc in your direction as you obviously know your stuff.

Regards, Shivers.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      LTO-5 - current standard, around 1.5 TB uncompressed per tape, bought over 150 of those last month.

HTH
      Blimey, how old fashioned. Haven't seen a tape in years, everything is virtual tape on real systems now!
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I'm really keen to know what the beer was?

Are we talking Fosters vs Stella?

I'm pretty sure sure Fosters is just flavoured water!

Comment

How important is what you consumed (in food) prior to drinking?

Is it true you get sloshed much quicker on an empty stomach, and if so how come when you do puke up you find your stomach wasn't that empty after all?

Do certain foods help prevent such a scenario, or will any food do?

This thread may be some help (depending on the quality of information gleaned from it) in the run up to New Year's eve.

Anything to prevent a repeat of last year, when I got pissed and was nearly in a fight in a pub with a drug dealer (unknown to me) who was feeling up a bird (a friend of a friend I'd never met before) in our group who turns out was a bit of a bike (unknown to me until too late for a ride).
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

NickFitz has it right as usual. It is rate of change of blood alcohol concentration that is the primary driver for the strength of the sensation of being drunk. Though not for actual drunkenness: hence, how drunk you feel is no guide to how drunk you really are.

One of my rules of thumb is that things never really get interesting until the second derivative, but I'm not sure how that would apply to getting drunk.
            Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeB View Post
              I'm really keen to know what the beer was?

Are we talking Fosters vs Stella?

I'm pretty sure sure Fosters is just flavoured water!
              Ooh no.

Speckled Hen (5.2% bottles) v Butcombe (4% pump) the consumption rate was about the same but I gave up earlier on the SH.

5%+ is too strong, British beer should be between 3.5% and 4.5% if it is to be consumed by the pint, continental strength should be served in smaller glasses.

Probably why the British have a problem with alcohol.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                Ooh no.

Speckled Hen (5.2% bottles) v Butcombe (4% pump) the consumption rate was about the same but I gave up earlier on the SH.

5%+ is too strong, British beer should be between 3.5% and 4.5% if it is to be consumed by the pint, continental strength should be served in smaller glasses.

Probably why the British have a problem with alcohol.
                Are you used to drinking SH?

I find an unfamiliar beer won't be recognised by my stomach, and consequently gets into the system a lot faster.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  How important is what you consumed (in food) prior to drinking? ...
                  Yes food is important; but equally if not more so is a sleep deficit (possibly caused be previous drinking), which can get you more pissed than one might anticipate.
                  Last edited by OwlHoot; 30 December 2011, 05:18.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                  X