• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ID Cards: sh1ts and giggles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A surveillance society

This is just like scribbling your pin on your switch card.
    All this information will be held in a government database whereas the id card only holds the name, address and biometric data.

Defending ID cards on the BBC Today programme, Mr Clarke said: "They will allow people to identify themselves and ensure that the data that is held about them is data held about them and not someone else.

Comment

So what are identity cards for this week? It seems to change quite regularly as each reason is debunked. A classic solution in search of a problem situation. I think, so far, we've had:

1. Combating international terrorism
      2. Reducing bogus asylum claims
      3. Benefit entitlement card
      4. Protection against identity theft
      5. Combating international crime

Any others? I keep expecting TB to say next that it will help develop a cure for cancer.

Comment

Listen... pause... we have worked very hard to combat the threats to our society... wipes forehead.

I am now proud to ... beaming smile ... say that our Id cards will cure cancer.

The Tories never managed that.

Comment

Tony, must I wear my ID badge at all times or will a blue Peter badge suffice?

Comment

Just make sure you get an adult to help you pin it on. You mark my words, it won't be long until we are all chipped at birth, in order to protect our freedom of course.

Assuming we aren't already that is. After all, who'd know?

I can feel a conspiracy theory coming on.

Comment

Assuming we aren't already that is. After all, who'd know?
              You don't think that's really Vitamin K they inject into new born babies ankles do you?

Comment

ID cards

ID cards are inevitable because the core thing about them is not about card, but about biometric database that will be created anyway as USA won't let people travel without Visa (and getting USA visa is worse than having anal probe). So database will be created anyway and biometric readers will be deployed on UK's borders.

Give more time and more Govts will do the same, this will result in drop in prices on key cost that can't be avoided -- portable hardware readers. This will be the time when the police and others will adopt them.

Comment

Re: ID cards

You don't think that's really Vitamin K they inject into new born babies ankles do you?
                  You're not telling me it's actually Special K are you?

Comment

Looks like people really are that stupid

Just had a look at the 'Have Your Say' section of the BBC webtulipe on ID cards. The very first comment is as follows:
                    I have no problem whatsoever carrying an ID card, and believe that the only people concerned about an 'intrusion' of their civil rights must have something to hide. However, I strongly resent having to pay for it. I pay for a passport, because I choose to travel overseas. I pay for a driving licence because I choose to drive. I pay for a TV licence because I choose to watch TV. Why should I be forced to give the government yet more of my hard earned money on something that's their idea? By all means introduce ID cards if they think they'll help against terrorism (which I doubt anyway), but don't insult your public by asking for money in return.

Clare Younger, Northfleet, England
                    Clare Younger is clearly a highly confused person who thinks that as well as innocent people having nothing to fear (like the Birmingham Six presumably), money to pay for government projects is just plucked off a magic money tree in the Gordon Brown's back garden.

Given that the average bod seems to be like minded, it makes you wonder why the government doesn't just say, "okay then, the cards will be free". What opposition there is from the great unwashed would just evaporate as they are too stupid to realise what the subsequent tax increases are for.

Comment

Working...
                    X