• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iceland committed to joining the Euro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    But if countries we've lent to default won't that make our financial position more precarious?
    Probably
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Of course! They are not stupid are they. By imposing the Euro they have wiped out cost competition from "lower cost" EU countries and they have kept exchange rates disproportionately low, thus maintaining price competitiveness of their products.
      Their banks have lent Eurozone consumers vast amounts of money to buy German products.
      I'm not convinced by this thesis. German banks are relatively small and certainly not responsible for all the irresponsible lending that has taken place, or even a particularly significant chunk of it, and their manufacturing is competitive because unlike a lot of "lower cost" places they have managed to contain wage inflation. That has less to do with the € and more to do with the fact they simply haven't had the sort of credit bubble that many of the other eurozone countries had IMO. The end result is that Germany is one of the "lower cost" EU countries.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        I'm not convinced by this thesis. German banks are relatively small and certainly not responsible for all the irresponsible lending that has taken place, or even a particularly significant chunk of it, and their manufacturing is competitive because unlike a lot of "lower cost" places they have managed to contain wage inflation. That has less to do with the € and more to do with the fact they simply haven't had the sort of credit bubble that many of the other eurozone countries had IMO. The end result is that Germany is one of the "lower cost" EU countries.
        Precisely my point. Germany has removed cheap labour competitiveness by imposing the Euro on the other manufacturing countries of europe- most notably Italy and France. it has kept its own labour costs low mainly because it has enjoyed an exchange rate that would have been considerably less favourable had it stuck with the Mark. As for the German banks it doesnt matter how big or small they are they have lent money to consumers to buy German goods - just as other banks have. the reason the Germans do not have a credit bubble is because the Germans do not consume. What is hilarious is that they have stoked the credit bubble elsewhere and are now left paying for it anyway
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          What I don't understand is the Greeks, they're trying to pass austerity measures so they can get more money and people are striking and objecting. Won't that mean that the country will go down the pan?
          nothing in Greece goes down the pan. You even have to sh1t in a plastic bag and leave it next to the bog for the cleaner.

disgusting country

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

hahaha yeah it's what I hated about holidaying there no proper sanitation
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

How very dare you!
              I've heard your ring goes for considerably less than €3 on the open market
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

mwahhahaha that's got to burn
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                X