• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Diane Abbot

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    What I meant is that using generalisation in speech does not necessarily make you a racist, it's just lazy and dumb.

Personally, I can't stand the woman but she's as guilty of discrimination/hate as Jeremy Clarkson was over the public sector shooting suggestion.

The difference between her and Clarkson was that Clarkson was joking. She on the other hand is revealing a racist streak in her attitude-lazy and dumb it may be, but it is as racist as it gets. Just imagine if it had been a white MP generalising about black people, and saying that Black people are opportunistic and lazy for example.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I'm not too bothered about what Abbott said, or Suarez come to that.

There's still enough real unfair discrimination going on, whether racial, ageist or whatever, without spending thousands of hours of broadcasting and acres of newspaper print making sanctimonious mountains out of molehills.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        In my day you were a racist if you wanted to stick people in the ovens, or murder them at bus stops. If you wanted to make a sweeping generalisation you were a plonker or a d1ckhead

Abbot and people like her have made this particular bed, let her lie in it

That's the crux of it IMO. She should have been more aware of what she was writing, to say it was taken out of context or that it was difficult to explain her true meaning in 140 characters is pretty lame.

Comment

Agree EO.

Treat other people etc. Lets see her be fined and embarrassed maybe it will make her think about her obviously racist views in future.

She made a derogatory remark based on colour, she is constantly referencing her colour like its a reason to feel hard done by, not proud. It just builds the feeling of injustice.

I'd like to see her telling the feckless to get off their butts and behave regardless of colour, not saying everyone is against them. She is in an ideal position to do this.

Unfortunately certain communities have minimal paternal involvement or regard for the law which leads to criminality that isn't a discrimination issue that's how that particular ethnic mix in that particular community behaves.

It isn't because 'they is Black' or oppressed, its because of the way they behave in that particular situation. Abbot should be encouraging them to follow the Indians and Chinese or even the respectable Afro Carribeans that have integrated well. These people behave differently and are on the whole seen as a valuable addition to the community by the majority but are just as obviously racially different.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            and it is "job protection" policies of the left that mean teachers work to rule and do not teach out of hours sports
            Wrong.

I know quite a few teachers and all work very hard. Many more hours than they are contracted to do. None that I know conform to the short-days-long-holidays stereotype.

Many have given up "after hours" activities because they are now personally liable if anything should go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Wrong.

I know quite a few teachers and all work very hard..
              i notice that whenever the issue of lazy/useless stupid teachers/lecturers gets mentioned there are one or two on here who immediately claim to know a few who work quite hard ---who are they? go on lets have their names or some evidence - otherwise quite frankly i dont believe it

Comment

Its ok, she has apologised we can all go about our lives without having to descend into another Daily Mail like rant on non issues
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

My better half was a primary teacher before we had kids. I can vouch for how hard some (see, I am not falling into the Abbot trap!) of them work.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
                    i notice that whenever the issue of lazy/useless stupid teachers/lecturers gets mentioned there are one or two on here who immediately claim to know a few who work quite hard ---who are they? go on lets have their names or some evidence - otherwise quite frankly i dont believe it
                    All teachers at my children's school work very hard. A couple of stupid ones. I would not swap with them.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
                      Jack Wesby, the PE teacher worked hard, he used to take us to Tord Vale camping. Then there was Mr J* who ran the electrical group and watched diligently to make sure we all got clean in the showers afterwards

mind you, they've both been dead for 30 years so I suppose they dont count

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X