• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Planning the year ahead....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And after all that the meticulous planing the Euro collapses and you have to eat potato rinds instead?

Comment

Regardless of the tulipe posting from AtW.

How do people plan their year?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I've always been a little bit anal when it comes to planning the contracting year ahead. As much as I like to be a free spirit of capitalism I do have this rather OCD approach to meticulously planning my finances a year ahead.

I have just completed this years 'contracting calendar'. And with all plans I can only go to the end of the present contract and place a risk ratio on an extension for another 3 months.

For this I plan

1) All of the days presently guaranteed (green)
        2) All of the days most likely based on renewal(orange) with a percentage of it taking place(75%)
        3) Then I put placeholders for holidays(ie red - won't be available)
        4) Then I put blue for 'expected days - either existing contract or a new one' with another percentage (25%)
        5) Then I leave the rest unknown
        6) A summary then calculates the days and an input is left for the 'unknown days' which I can input into.

I then place my expected take home rate after expenses multiplied by 70% in the take home column.

This then inputs into a rather complex spreadsheet of bank accounts, investments, other incomes(which may have a sheet of it;s own), interest, bills, taxes, average spending, costs of holidays, pensions, savings for kids etc by month.

I then key in different numbers into 6 for the days unaccounted for, which filters through and gives me the expected positions (worst case, average, best case) at the year end.

I then update this monthly all year based on the previous month and adjust accordingly.

Of the other contractors I know well, all do something similar. What does everyone else do???
        This is the most boring pile of rubbish i've read on CUK.

Do you apply the same principles to foreplay? Right, 3 minutes on the top, next wet fingers, 16 rubs. 5 minutes on inner thighs. She should be responding in exactly 30 seconds. ALERT ALERT. No response. No Response. ABORT ABORT

Comment

"Zero. But I have forecast £24 Million from my new 'Distributed Computing Project aimed towards building the largest search engine index on the Internet using Distributed Crawlers' company" - Minestrone.
          Arf!
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I balance my accounts at the end of every month and make sure I spend less than I earn.

My forecasting is to carry this forward until the end of the contract and keep looking at the market to assess the chances of this continuing for the next 6 months.

(Method also known as 'finger in the air').
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've always got a pretty good idea of where I am financially without having to write anything down. I occasionally do a three month estimate going forward but this is always on paper. I arrive at a best\worst case figure and throw the paper away.

I always try to keep total drawings from the company at < 50% of gross.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I've always been a little bit anal when it comes to planning the contracting year ahead. As much as I like to be a free spirit of capitalism I do have this rather OCD approach to meticulously planning my finances a year ahead.

I have just completed this years 'contracting calendar'. And with all plans I can only go to the end of the present contract and place a risk ratio on an extension for another 3 months.

For this I plan

1) All of the days presently guaranteed (green)
                2) All of the days most likely based on renewal(orange) with a percentage of it taking place(75%)
                3) Then I put placeholders for holidays(ie red - won't be available)
                4) Then I put blue for 'expected days - either existing contract or a new one' with another percentage (25%)
                5) Then I leave the rest unknown
                6) A summary then calculates the days and an input is left for the 'unknown days' which I can input into.

I then place my expected take home rate after expenses multiplied by 70% in the take home column.

This then inputs into a rather complex spreadsheet of bank accounts, investments, other incomes(which may have a sheet of it;s own), interest, bills, taxes, average spending, costs of holidays, pensions, savings for kids etc by month.

I then key in different numbers into 6 for the days unaccounted for, which filters through and gives me the expected positions (worst case, average, best case) at the year end.

I then update this monthly all year based on the previous month and adjust accordingly.

Of the other contractors I know well, all do something similar. What does everyone else do???

And then get unexpectedly benched, the boiler blows up, and the roof falls in

If you really plan to that degree (and I can't believe that even the contractor that I used to work with who had brightly coloured socks to match his brightly coloured shirts and who used to fax the canteen menu to his wife on a Monday so that she never cooked the same thing for his dinner by mistake, would do that), you need to get out more!

Comment

Most heavily tagged thread of all time?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    I balance my accounts at the end of every month and make sure I spend less than I earn.

My forecasting is to carry this forward until the end of the contract and keep looking at the market to assess the chances of this continuing for the next 6 months.

(Method also known as 'finger in the air').
                    WCS!
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                      This is the most boring pile of rubbish i've read on CUK.

Do you apply the same principles to foreplay? Right, 3 minutes on the top, next wet fingers, 16 rubs. 5 minutes on inner thighs. She should be responding in exactly 30 seconds. ALERT ALERT. No response. No Response. ABORT ABORT
                      WHS
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X