• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tony Blair and the £8million tax 'mystery'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Yes, but as I recall they all had the decency to resign (or were told to).
    Jonathan Aitken resigned so that he could prove his complete innocence using the "simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of British fair play". And then tried to get his daughter to lie under oath in the court case. He since claimed bankruptcy to avoid paying the legal bills.

Neil Hamilton said that he would resign if he'd done anything wrong. Unfortunately, he lost his seat before anyone could put that theory to the test, since the Downey report wasn't published until after the election.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Blair saw that he could have a political career with labour, so joined them. If he'd have been able to pull it off with the tories, then he'd have been a tory.

It was all about gaining power, having a political career. Nothing to do with deeply held convictions.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        Nothing will ever change... the system has been designed to keep the "ruling elite" and the "plebs" in their respective places.

The voting system is just there to give an illusion of "democracy".
        Exactly. You'll never oust me an sasguru.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Blair saw that he could have a political career with labour, so joined them. If he'd have been able to pull it off with the tories, then he'd have been a tory.

It was all about gaining power, having a political career. Nothing to do with deeply held convictions.
          Which is one of the reasons that the Tories hate Blair so much. If they had had someone who could do the same (kind of like how they have now, in fact), then they wouldn't have been moaning for so long about how he was all sound bite and no substance.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Nevermind his political career - why HMRC isn't on the case demanding to know why he's got so much admin expenses and why he is using so many companies which to me look totally artificial.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Nevermind his political career - why HMRC isn't on the case demanding to know why he's got so much admin expenses and why he is using so many companies which to me look totally artificial.
              Because the British are far more cleaver at corruption that the Russians. Perhaps we can run courses on how to be a corrupt Politian and still get off Scott free.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
              X