• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Caption competition - Scottish referendum thingy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caption competition - Scottish referendum thingy

"Hi hitler, your our kind of people"

More like the uncertainty of referendum is damaging DC's career rather than the economy. It seems to me every time DC opens his mouth he helps AS take another step closer to his goal.

Downing St: Scottish referendum uncertainty is hurting economy - Telegraph

A referendum should be held on Scottish independence “sooner rather than later” to avoid damaging the economy, Downing Street said today.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said that the uncertainty caused by the unsure future of the union between England and Scotland “can have a detrimental impact on the economy”.

The spokesman said: “One thing business never likes is uncertainty, whether that is legal uncertainty, political uncertainty or economic uncertainty.

“The feedback he [the PM] has had and the Chancellor has had suggests that this uncertainty around Scotland’s place in the union is having an effect.

“The Chancellor was talking to some of the largest companies in the world and this is what they were saying to him.”

The spokesman added that the “uncertainty can have a detrimental impact on the economy, that is why we need to get on with this sooner rather than later”.

Earlier, David Cameron was accused of "seeking to interfere" with the democratic rights of the Scottish people by trying to impose conditions on a referendum on independence.

Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland's Deputy First Minister, said the Scottish people had "overwhelmingly" voted the SNP into power in Holyrood last year, returning the nationalist party with a majority.

And she said there was "clarity" north of the border about the SNP commitment to hold the referendum in the second half of the Parliament.

But she accused Mr Cameron of trying to influence the format and timing of any vote.

Reports suggest the Government in Westminster is considering offering the Scottish Parliament the chance to hold a legally binding referendum but only on the basis of a simple yes or no question and if it is held within a certain time frame, thought to be 18 months.

On the Andrew Marr Show yesterday, the Prime Minister said he would publish legal advice in the coming days which would offer a "fair, legal and decisive" solution.

But Ms Sturgeon told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "This is a blatant attempt to interfere in the decision that is really one for the Scottish Government in terms of the timing of the referendum and for the Scottish people in terms of the outcome.

"We were elected on the basis of our commitment to have a referendum in the second half of this parliamentary term.

"This is about Westminster seeking to interfere.

"We said very clearly in the election that our immediate priority if elected would be to seek to strengthen the Scotland Bill, currently going through the Westminster Parliament, to give the Scottish Parliament important economic job-creating powers, a referendum on independence in the second half of this parliamentary term."

Mr Cameron has said it would give "clarity" to the people of Scotland as he renewed his determination to see a vote held "sooner rather than later".

And he accused Alex Salmond, the First Minister, of seeking to delay a vote because he knew Scottish voters did not "at heart" want a full separation.

Mr Salmond wants the poll in the second half of his current term – which ends in 2016.

Mr Cameron told the Andrew Marr Show that the uncertainty over when a referendum would be held and what the question would be was damaging the Scottish economy.

"We owe the Scottish people something that is fair, legal and decisive so in the coming days we will be setting out clearly what the legal situation is," he said.

"Then we need a proper debate where people can put forward their views.

"But my view, very strongly, is that the Scottish people deserve some clarity, some decisiveness and they deserve it to be legal and binding."

He went on: "The uncertainty about this issue is damaging to Scotland and Scotland's economy.

"And it is unfair on the Scottish people themselves, who don't really know when this question is going to be asked, what the question is going to be, who's responsible for asking it."

The Prime Minister said the United Kingdom was "one of the most successful partnerships in the history of the world" and should be defended.

"It would be desperately sad if Scotland chose to leave the United Kingdom and I will do everything I can to encourage Scotland to stay in the United Kingdom because I think that is the best for all our economies, Scotland included, and all our societies."

"Let's not drift apart. I think he (Alex Salmond) knows the Scottish people at heart do not want a full separation and so he is trying to create a situation where that bubbles up and happens whereas I think we need some decisiveness so we can clear up this issue."

"I don't think we should just let this go on year after year. I think that's damaging for everyone concerned, so let's clear up the legal situation and then have a debate about how we bring this to a conclusion. My view is that sooner rather than later would be better."
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

"So the question was 'How many chins has Alex got?'... I say 5!"
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Gretna is historically a part of England.

Comment

Five Times !! In one night !!
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

"bye bye Scotland. Take your benefits bills, Neds and your empty oil + gas wells with you".

Comment

"Don't worry...we'll give five scots worK permits every year until Scotland gets into the EU"

Comment

Yes, that's right madam, not ten, just five, yes FIVE pounds, for this lifesize Shrek doll.
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

If it means they can shed their inferiority complex then they should go. I am all for devolving power and reducing size, however I bet the first thing they do is having fought so hard for independence that they give away their sovereignty to the EU by joining the Euro
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

The thing I don't get, is, well the torry graph, the beeb, all their stories are written as an us versus them argument. English versus the Scots, with all the associated ignorance.

As far as I can tell from my peers the purpose has never been anything more than the residents of Scotland (English, African, Asian, Swindoners) having a voice that separates them from the politics of Westminster.

They have my full support in this matter regardless of where they come from.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

"He asked me for independence and I told him to talk to the hand"

Comment

Working...
                    X