• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie or Bye, what would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie or Bye, what would you do?

I know this is very personal decision and depends on a whole raft of circumstances.

Looks like this is likely to be the case for me shortly.
    Take the permie offer in current market
    21.43%
    I'm a hard core contractor with a 6 year warchest
    35.71%
    Negotiate a rate increase cos I am indispensible
    23.81%
    Ask AnyW's Mum for advice.
    19.05%
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

I think I'd sooner live under a bridge than work for someone else.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Do you enjoy the work?

Is the pay package good or a joke compared to your contract income?

Is it local or are you willing to relocate (commuting is time consuming and costly as a permie)?

Can you learn some new skills and get some paid for training and certification?

Do you actually enjoy the freedom, lifestyle and variety of contract work even though there may be bench time?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Do you enjoy the work?

Is the pay package good or a joke compared to your contract income?

Is it local or are you willing to relocate (commuting is time consuming and costly as a permie)?

Can you learn some new skills and get some paid for training and certification?

Do you actually enjoy the freedom, lifestyle and variety of contract work even though there may be bench time?
        DimPrawn has been hacked again. This looks like good useful helpful advice and nothing about gold either!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Like somebody used to say in their footer:

"Permies earn more than benched Contractors".

Trust me....it's a good time to find a safe haven.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            DimPrawn has been hacked again. This looks like good useful helpful advice and nothing about gold either!
            Or house prices!

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
              Like somebody used to say in their footer:

"Permies earn more than benched Contractors".

Trust me....it's a good time to find a safe haven.
              There are other options where you can still be self employed and I'd investigate those before permiedoom.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It wouldn't be a flat 'No' but there would have to be a pretty good package and prospects (training, progression, etc) for the idea to be entertained.
                It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  There are other options where you can still be self employed and I'd investigate those before permiedoom.
                  True,
                  It depends on the state of the industry that you work in.

In mine - engineering - getting from the cradle to the grave at the moment feels like crossing a wide river by standing on crocodiles.

Give me permie at the moment, you are not then sat right next to the door when the axe man cometh, as he will.

When things pick up again, you can always strike out as a Contractor. Go for safe now.
                  Last edited by KimberleyChris; 11 January 2012, 16:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                    I know this is very personal decision and depends on a whole raft of circumstances.

Looks like this is likely to be the case for me shortly.
                    Jump to permie if it's good enough.

If(like me) you wanted to move. I went cynically perm with a 6 figure salary(with bonus) so I could borrow shed loads from the bank. All I needed was 3 months worth of wage slips as opposed to 3 years worth of accounts(and the twunts take your gross salary). Landed up doing two years before contracting again for the last 2.5.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X