• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland warned it could lose the pound and be forced to join Euro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland warned it could lose the pound and be forced to join Euro

A spokesman for David Cameron said there were no guarantees that the Scots could keep sterling if they voted against remaining affiliated with the rest of the union.

Mr Cameron’s spokesman said: “Once you start asking the question about independence, one part of that is what currency to have. Would Scotland retain the pound, and if so, how does that work? Or does it join the euro? That’s one part of the independence question.”

Other issues which Downing Street said would need ironing out are shared defence capabilities, the national debt and border security.

A carve up of assets between England and Scotland could leave both countries facing years of legal wrangling.

Today Mr Cameron told MPs that he passionately believed in the United Kingdom and accused Scottish nationalists of attempting to delay a referendum on separation indefinitely.

Source: Scotland warned it could lose the pound and be forced to join Euro as price of independence - Telegraph

AtW's political comment: is this the worst threat Westmister can master?!?!

Personally I think Scotland should become independent and Gordon Brown among other people should be made persona non-grata in England.
    Yes
    63.64%
    No
    24.24%
    Only if AndyW is proclaimed its King
    12.12%

The question is; who will be given the vote in the referendum? Everyone living in Scotland? Or Scots living everywhere in the world? Will the English be able to vote that they don’t want the Scots anyway so they may have leave the UK even they don’t want to?
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      The question is; who will be given the vote in the referendum?
      Presumably the same people who are currently eligible to vote for Scottish MPs.

Perhaps the Westminster should demand that all ballot papers are printed in Gaelic and only persons fluent in it can be allowed to vote.

Comment

Apparently the Scots want to hold the vote on the anniversary of a battle fought 6 or 7 hundred years ago, a date burned into the frontal lobes of every Scotsman and not even heard of by anyone else. Long memories or what.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Apparently the Scots want to hold the vote on the anniversary of a battle fought 6 or 7 hundred years ago, a date burned into the frontal lobes of every Scotsman and not even heard of by anyone else. Long memories or what.

I bet a fair few people in Westminster wish the battle took place 650-750 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            The question is; ..Will the English be able to vote that they don’t want the Scots anyway so they may have leave the UK even they don’t want to?
            I was thinking that and came to the conclusion it would almost guarantee their independence.

I can see the going the same way as Quebec. Montreal used to be Canada's New York until they started making separation noises. This resulted in the multinational companies moving on and lots of people following them.

Comment

Just more Westminster sabre-rattling pish.

Nothing wrong with the Scots having their own pound.
              I still have some Scottish pound notes.

They could track a Scottish pound like the Irish used to track Sterling.

Comment

If Scotland cuts corp tax to 15% they'll get lots of companies relocate domicile.

Comment

I would.

Comment

OIL backed currencies are very desirable,so you can shove your pound

Comment

Working...
                    X