• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stop eating them fried breakfasts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unless you want to increase you're chances of pancriatic cancer

bbc news linky
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

No, don't 'stop' just be sensible and don't have one every day, shirley?

Yet another enjoyable thing that is apparently going to kill us.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      unless you want to increase you're chances of pancriatic cancer

bbc news linky
      Fried breakfasts are OK, as long as they don't contain bacon or sausages

and are fried in real fat or oil, not trans-fatty polyunsaturated industrial muck.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

The study, published in the British Journal of Cancer, analysed data from 11 trials and 6,643 patients with pancreatic cancer.

It found that eating processed meat increased the risk of pancreatic cancer. The risk increased by 19% for every 50g someone added to their daily diet. Having an extra 100g would increase the risk by 38%.

Prof Larsson [who conducted the study] said: "Pancreatic cancer has poor survival rates. So as well as diagnosing it early, it's important to understand what can increase the risk of this disease."

She recommended that people eat less red meat.
        Now there's a thing. Did she really recommend less red meat, when the study showed the risk of eating processed meat? Why would she say that? Perhaps the BBC article missed out some important connection there.

That's the trouble with getting you news from journalists - most of them don't know squat, and don't have the time or the inclination to tell the whole story.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          You don't get this sort of problem with nice fresh liver, fava beans and a glass or two of chianti.

The onion gravy helps too.
          Not sure that's so, you see, liver absolutely has to be served in thick gravy with sliced up fried onions and smoked bacon. It's the law!
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

You'll probably find that those studied who do eat sausages and bacon everyday are fat, and it's actually being fat that increases your risk of cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              You'll probably find that those studied who do eat sausages and bacon everyday are fat, and it's actually being fat that increases your risk of cancer.
              That's true but this study shows a link between processed meats specifically, and pancreatic cancer specifically.

It's probably the nitrites in the curing. So eat fried kidneys and/or fish for breakfast instead. Or steak and eggs.

Comment

Being fat, or having high levels of fat in your diet, increases your chances of pancraetitis which increases your chances of pancreatic cancer. So does smoking and binge drinking.

The nitrites in processed / cured meats have been linked to a lot of stuff as well, and the link between red and processed meats and bowel cancer seems solid.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

These types of reports pisses me off. This report has been made by a cancer charity. Charities publish wacky un-scientific motive reports purely in order to increase public awareness of their charity and to increase revenues. It is all about money for the well paid directors or chartable companies. The BBC employ dumb out of uni media studies idiots who fall for these reports and give them free publicity.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

To improve my chances of not getting cancer I have stopped reading news
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X