• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

anyone boycotting godaddy ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    We can presumably all agree that burglary is a bad thing. That doesn't mean that, if someone is suspected of being a burglar, it should be permissible to burn down every house in the street where they live without having to prove anything or hold any kind of trial, ignoring the fact that their neighbours had nothing to do with it. But that's the kind of power SOPA/RIPA give to rights owners.
    A bad analogy. It would be more like closing down the street so nobody can get in or out, no?

Although - does SOPA allow them to permanently take down sites, full-stop? Or to take them down "until a proper investigation can be performed" - which might take years but is nonetheless temporary, officially? If the latter is a proposed maximum time period stipulated, similar to how we can hold suspected terrorists without charging them for a few weeks?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Although - does SOPA allow them to permanently take down sites, full-stop? Or to take them down "until a proper investigation can be performed" - which might take years but is nonetheless temporary, officially? If the latter is a proposed maximum time period stipulated, similar to how we can hold suspected terrorists without charging them for a few weeks?
      Are you boycotting google as well?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

A bad analogy. It would be more like closing down the street so nobody can get in or out, no?
        The analogy that Neelie Kroes used was that it is illegal to speed, we should put speed bumps on all motorways to stop speeding happening.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
          RIPA is something completely different, I assume you meant PIPA?
          What's wrong with her?

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Are you boycotting google as well?
            What in this thread made you think I was boycotting anyone? Or were you quoting me and aiming that at the OP?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              What's wrong with her?

I could take it or leave it TBH
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What in this thread made you think I was boycotting anyone?
                The list of questions that google could have answered for you.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  The list of questions that google could have answered for you.
                  I bet you felt SO clever typing that. Of course the fact that searching for such information which addresses my specific question would take a couple of hours, rather than someone on CUK posting an answer in 10s, is irrelevant, when there's a "wit" like you around.

Comment

I bet you felt SO clever typing that. Of course the fact that searching for such information which addresses my specific question would take a couple of hours, rather than someone on CUK posting an answer in 10s, is irrelevant, when there's a "wit" like you around.
                    Well here we are 3 hours later and no one has posted an answer. Perhaps they assumed that as you felt you were in a position to criticise NF's analogy and make one of your own, you might have the slightest clue what you were talking about and therefore typing "What is SOPA?" into google on your behalf wasn't necessary.

As an aside, if typing "What is SOPA?" into google takes you a couple of hours you might want to seek help. Perhaps from the person treating your total sense of humour failure?
                    Last edited by doodab; 21 January 2012, 17:21.

Comment

From Wikipedia: The originally proposed bill would allow the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as copyright holders, to seek court orders against websites outside U.S. jurisdiction accused of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement. Depending on who makes the request, the court order could include barring online advertising networks and payment facilitators from conducting business with websites found to infringe on federal criminal intellectual-property laws, barring search engines from linking to such sites, and requiring Internet service providers to block access to such sites.

In practice this would mean that, for example, somebody posting a link to a ripped-off ebook over in Technical could result in CUK (all of it, not just the forums) having its DNS blocked without notice by the US federal government, despite being a UK site.

Comment

Working...
                      X