• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SKA news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

search engines

> which wheel will you reinvent next time ?

Milan

There are only few search engines in the world who have their own crawled and indexed data in the range that exceeds a billion URLs. There are plenty of META-search engines that use someone else's (expensive!) data.

As soon as my search engine has decent size and provides reasonably relevant results it will be written about by other people and number of people who come to contribute will increase greatly -- this will allow to quickly ramp up in the range of 5-10 billions URLs, I am likely to go higher than Google just for the sake of it.

And when I will have done that I will know that I did something worthy in my life. Where as you will be stuck changing fecking tapes :rollin

The worst case scenario is that I should get a job offer from Microsoft Search team, especially considering its all written in .NET

Comment

Re: search engines

if I do a search for distributed search engine on www.teoma.com I see that what you are developing is not an original idea

Milan.

Comment

originality

Milan, building a car is not original, yet Ferrari is doing well. There is nobody in the world in my class who is better than me now -- the only serious people are www.grub.org, but they don't have search engine and their distributed crawler sucks arse. If only people who crawl in their program knew about my site -- we could have been getting 20 mlns URLs a day

Comment

Re: originality

forgive me Alexey, only teasing

I wish you all the success in the world with your project

When are you going to do some PR and where will you start ?

I think you are right, Microsoft will either be interested in the project or you or both at the end of the day.

With a little luck as a result you may move into the earnings leagues of some of the successful .Net guys here like Dimprawn.

The rest of us can only watch from the sidelines and hope.

Milan.

Comment

I just typed in "Alexei" and "original idea" into AtW's thingy and all I got was a page full of :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

terminated with a small cartoon-like character with a manic sort of alien look that I can only assume is milan. Astounding eh?

Comment

Re: originality

If only people who crawl in their program knew about my site -- we could have been getting 20 mlns URLs a day
              How about a cheeky post in their forum to lure people across?

This is worth a read news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4118770.stm

Comment

Good one SB.

:rollin

Comment

PR

Thanks Milan.

> When are you going to do some PR and where will you start ?

Can't and don't want to start PR before search engine has decent number of pages indexed and results are relevant -- normally I start version from 0.5.0 on my projects, but on search engine I started from 0.1.0 (ALPHA!) to show that its very very first version so people have to be reasonable and not expect it to compete with Google, not yet at least.

A decent ready-to-use product is really a pre-requisite. I expect that 500 mln indexed pages should provide reasonably good answers in majority of cases, going to create plug-in for Firefox to search directly in my search engine shortly -- dog food so to speak.

Comment

cheeky post

> How about a cheeky post in their forum to lure people across?

I can't do it Dim :rolleyes

Once search engine is of decent size relevant people will start talking and these guys there will hear -- grub lacks search engine, people crawl but it appears all for nothing. If I was them I'd be pretty pissed off, and they are -- lots of people left them.

Comment

Make or break time...

/. it!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X