• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I walked past a pub in/near Covent Garden with loads of flowers outside, hanging baskets and the like. It looked familiar - maybe from a CAMRA review? - but I can't remember the name. Anyone have a clue what it's called?

I think it was green. HTH.
    Was it one of the ones that was nail bombed? Or bombed by IRA or Al Queida?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I walked past a pub in/near Covent Garden with loads of flowers outside, hanging baskets and the like. It looked familiar - maybe from a CAMRA review? - but I can't remember the name. Anyone have a clue what it's called?

I think it was green. HTH.
      Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      Not the Harp by any chance? ( NF's favourite pub).
      It fits the description.

Comment

Some of the permies here are going to the City Arms next to Canary Wharf next week to give it a final farewell before it's turned into another block of half occupied flats. May do the same but IMO there are better pubs in the area and had a bad pint there a while ago.

Started off my post uni working career in South Wales ... never regreted the move eastwards though even though I miss the scenery there.

Comment

I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time in around London as that's where all the work seems to be
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

I could never understand why anyone in the UK would want to spend their time anywhere else.

It doesn't matter how deviant the stuff you are in to is, you will find like-minded people in London, and you can do whatever you like and no-one else will give a tulip.

Its not for everyone though. I didn't grow up there but moved there when I was 18. Some of the people I grew up with tried it too but didn't last a year before running back to the sticks with their tails between their legs.

I will miss the City Arms though, so many memories, it's a shame I can't get back there in time for one last look.
            Last edited by Gonzo; 14 March 2012, 09:23.

Comment

Public transport

The main difference is handing yourself over to public transport, my own experience is that in any other town/city in the UK your own car is the main mode of transport in London that is not really an option.

This is my first role in london in 6 years of contracting and as others say the pay is the main draw.

Comment

Its ok but expensive so make sure you rate reflects that. Alot of people go on about London or banking rates being high but then so is the cost of working and living around here its all relative.
                Last edited by Bumfluff; 14 March 2012, 10:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
                  Its ok but expensive so make sure you rate reflects that. Alot of people go on about city banking rates being high but then so is the cost of working and living around here its all relative.
                  A very good point, after all I'm not doing it for the love
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

I could always take or leave London.

Give me Somerset or Wiltshire anyway. Especially Bath. Lovely.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                      Not the Harp by any chance? ( NF's favourite pub).
                      The one near Charing Cross station? I was in there for the first time ever last week. Froze my bollocks off standing outside the back as it's pretty narrow. Beer was really good though.

Comment

Working...
                      X