• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    So he'll have to treble his rate so he will be just above the breadline
    Seriously have you been to Switzerland recently. Ouch doesn't really describe it.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I walked past a pub in/near Covent Garden with loads of flowers outside, hanging baskets and the like. It looked familiar - maybe from a CAMRA review? - but I can't remember the name. Anyone have a clue what it's called?

I think it was green. HTH.
      Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      Not the Harp by any chance? ( NF's favourite pub).
      Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      It fits the description.

I'm 95% sure that's the one. It looked great as we walked past, didn't have time to pop in.

Thanks!
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        The Harp. I've long said it was the best pub in London, and last year CAMRA declared it the best pub in the UK
        In that case it's probably CUK where I remembered it from

Here's a question. Does there exist a book or decent website which tells you the things you'd struggle to find out without local knowledge or a lot of research about different places to live around London... like "can you get a seat on the train"? There are so many places you could go, a full research on each would take forever, but it's clear you can't simply say "well it's near a tube station I'll be fine"

Sort of like a tourist guide, but not for tourists...?!
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Seriously have you been to Switzerland recently. Ouch doesn't really describe it.
          I paid 8 quid a beer, 20 quid for crap fish and chips (my fault, had to try) and the missus paid 4 quid for a tiny cup of tea. Admittedly in the Altstadt and on Bahnhofstrasse.....

Having said that beer in Migros/Coop not too bad, just anywhere with any service quadruples the price...

All the time is was 'How Much!!?' and 'Come on, love, not paying THAT!!'

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I paid 8 quid a beer, 20 quid for crap fish and chips (my fault, had to try) and the missus paid 4 quid for a tiny cup of tea. Admittedly in the Altstadt and on Bahnhofstrasse.....

Having said that beer in Migros/Coop not too bad, just anywhere with any service quadruples the price...

Oh gosh does that mean I'll be losing a lot of weight , fortunately I don't drink but £4 for a tea is ridiculous
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
              Oh gosh does that mean I'll be losing a lot of weight , fortunately I don't drink but £4 for a tea is ridiculous
              I recently went to London for an interview with UBS paying astronomical rates. After travelling 2 hours on the train to London (those tilting trains really make me feel sick) and then suffering for 50 minutes on the city line (I stayed over at a friends in west London), I started to think life isn't all about money and jacked it in. I am due to start a role which is 2.2 miles away (less than 5 mins drive) and the rate is top end for North West but bottom end for London, though I couldn't give a damn!

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                I think I read that the minimum wage in CH is something like £40k pa, so that's why anything with any service is astronomically priced.

Having said that I love it there, even boring Zurich, just make sure the rate covers the local expenses (as well as your travel there), rates have dropped but I wouldn't go there for less than 900CFH a day, around 650/700 quid I think otherwise you're in the poor house!

Comment

I think I read that the minimum wage in CH is something like £40k pa, so that's why anything with any service is astronomically priced.

Having said that I love it there, even boring Zurich, just make sure the rate covers the local expenses (as well as your travel there), rates have dropped but I wouldn't go there for less than 900CFH a day, around 650/700 quid I think otherwise you're in the poor house!
                  I guess that puts me in the poor house, no one really pays well for testers
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

That's not typical. I pay 5 CHF for a beer, and I do go out to nice bars in town.

The most exclusive shops etc are on Bahnhofstr.

Prices in Zürich really aren't that bad, unless you go in a posh restaurant. But there are plenty of inexpensive ones as well.

I earn a lower rate than in London but I'm still better off than I would be if I was in London.

I would execpt a rate in Zürich above CHF600.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 15 March 2012, 11:02.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X