• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in London

Hi Everyone

I have an interview on Thursday for a position down in London, I'd be interested to peoples experiences of contracting down this way. Honest feedback very welcome I want to know what I might be letting myself in for.
    In Scooter we trust

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Hi Everyone

I have an interview on Thursday for a position down in London, I'd be interested to peoples experiences of contracting down this way. Honest feedback very welcome I want to know what I might be letting myself in for.
    It's fine. Where do you live?

Comment

Hotels will be expensive in London come July because of the Olympics, if you can find any available
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Hi Everyone

London is a big place - I spent most of my working life in working in the City but that has now spread east to the new docklands area which has its own challenges
        If not the City or Docklands then the remaining areas will all have their own challenges or positives so really need location to advise

Whichever area you end up in, you will see first hand the effects of uncontrolled migration

HTH
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

If you enjoy a decent pint don’t bother. Spent 3 years there drinking nats piss.
          one day at a time

Comment

I moved up here from Devon back in 2005, was perm for a couple of years with the company that i transferred with and then went contracting.

Never looked back, London has plenty to do, both free and paid for, lots of history, gigs, sports, theatre.

My wife and I love to just jump on the tube and go somewhere we've not been before. Although much maligned the public transport system is great, not sure why it has such a bad reputation.

The work is well paid compared to other places.

I now live up here full time and have bought a house up here, but it's still nice to get back down to my place in the South West occasionally.

I'd recommend London, both for the work and the life it can give you, if you get off your proverbial and go see the city and its surroundings.

Go for it.

You staying overnight? Fancy a beer?
            Last edited by Scrag Meister; 13 March 2012, 11:52.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
              If you enjoy a decent pint don’t bother. Spent 3 years there drinking nats piss.
              Then you were drinking in the wrong places.

The beer has improved remarkably in the last 3 years.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Then you were drinking in the wrong places.

The beer has improved remarkably in the last 3 years.
                Decent London boozers have narrow doorways so you can't squeeze in if the chip on your shoulder is too big.

Comment

Hi Everyone

I've been doing it for years on and off.
                  Working in West End at the moment, but worked both in City and out at Heathrow too.
                  Personally, I love it, and if you are from North West (or anywhere served by Virgin Trains) you can take advantage of their Traveller Club and travel for free!
                  I've lived in hotels and now rent a Mon-Fri room so commute for 45 mins a day. Not perfect, but then what actually is?
                  And on the eighth day God said, "Okay, Murphy, you're in charge!"

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    It's fine. Where do you live?
                    10 Miles North of Cardiff, but I'm working in the South-West at the moment I stay down here all week as I can't be arsed to commute.
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X