• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beeb lose Grand National

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Which bit of 'I'm not prepared to pay' do you not understand?

I can get everything I want either through Freeview or the odd DVD.

Which is considerably cheaper than Sky.
    That's exactly my point - if you don't want Sky you don't pay for it, but people don't have that choice with the good ol' beeb.

Comment

Its great that such a farce of a "race" has now gone elsewhere. I'm sure the BBC can fit in a good movie in its place and get higher ratings than a bunch of horses falling over.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        Its great that such a farce of a "race" has now gone elsewhere. I'm sure the BBC can fit in a good movie in its place and get higher ratings than a bunch of horses falling over.
        "In 2011, the Grand National achieved a domestic viewing audience of 8.8 million viwers, representing a 35.8 per cent share of the available television audience at the time."

And

"In addition to worldwide news access and online reports, BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC, distributes footage of the John Smith’s Grand National to 140 countries worldwide. This makes the great race very much a global event, enjoyed by millions of viewers around the world. The estimated worldwide audience for the John Smith’s Grand National is 600 million."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          They could get some Z list celebs to compete with each other in pushing horses over for a tenth of the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
            "In addition to worldwide news access and online reports, BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC, distributes footage of the John Smith’s Grand National to 140 countries worldwide. This makes the great race very much a global event, enjoyed by millions of viewers around the world. The estimated worldwide audience for the John Smith’s Grand National is 600 million."
            This is my point... Surely the loss of revenue is more than the output? Add to that the loss of the F1 income from selling it around the world, and the lack of any football whatsoever...

All lost revenue.
            Last edited by scooby; 19 March 2012, 15:06.
            I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

IMHO this could be a big loss to the gambling industry. It's very much a mug punters race, where people who don't normally gamble have a once yearly punt. Remove it from terrestial and I can see many of them forgetting to bother.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

That's exactly my point - if you don't want Sky you don't pay for it, but people don't have that choice with the good ol' beeb.
                Ah, I see now. Well since I use their Internet services extensively I guess that's where a lot of the money goes and personally I don't have a problem with that.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yes they do. If you don't want Sky, don't pay for it. If you don't want to watch terrestrial TV, don't get a TV license.... you can still watch catchup TV on iPlayer (and other catchup websites I suppose).
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
                    This is my point... Surely the loss of revenue is more than the output? Add to that the loss of the F1 income from selling it around the world, and the lack of any football whatsoever...

All lost revenue.
                    I didn't think that Bernie allowed that. But hey I suppose it is possible.

Mind you I get annoyed when people talk about just how much money BBC makes from selling DVD's, books and programmes to us and the world. If they make so much from that, then scrap the licence fee altogether.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Yes they do. If you don't want Sky, don't pay for it. If you don't want to watch terrestrial TV, don't get a TV license.... you can still watch catchup TV on iPlayer (and other catchup websites I suppose).
                      But what if you want Sky and not the beeb ? Good excuse to go the pub I suppose...

Comment

Working...
                      X