• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you overcome the "road-rail impedance mismatch" problem?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I paid a lot of money to get a house 400 yards from a station, 1 mile to a motorway intersection and a 15 minute train ride to an airport and ten minutes into the countryside. Location, location location
    I paid sod all for a house a £3 taxi to the station, 1 mile from a motorway junction and £15 away from an airport.

unfortunately unless I want to go to Aberdeen or Amsterdam the airport is useless.

As for the train fare to London doesn't quite describe the must go now fare.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

And I paid very little money to live under spaghetti junction bridge under M6.

sasguru

Comment

Don't you bill the client for the taxi to the station?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          And I paid very little money to live under spaghetti junction bridge under M6.

sasguru
          How sweet! He's finally moved in with you.

Comment

option 3 but try checking the train time table before you leave the house
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              option 3 but try checking the train time table before you leave the house
              too much forward planning required; I'm a man of impulse and error.

Comment

Well, if it's the cost that is hurting you, and if you're west of London, you could drive and park on the Oxford park n' ride, and catch the coach into London (one every 10 or 15 minutes). Fairly cheap - only drawback I suppose is that you need to catch an early coach to avoid slow traffic, and it takes you into west London (Notting Hill, Baker Street, Marble Arch), so not too convenient for the city or Docklands.
                If not the cost, move abroad and get a flight into London City airport!
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Folding cycle.

Comment

Space hooper to the station. It's more dignified than you think.

Comment

I love my commute, a 5 mile bike ride through fields is the best part of it, then a main line train ride into central london, then the tube. thinking of ditching the tube for the boris bikes but haven't tried that yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X