• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you overcome the "road-rail impedance mismatch" problem?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you overcome the "road-rail impedance mismatch" problem?

OK it is an expression I made up. But what it means is that if you live out in the sticks at the weekend, as I do, you have to work out how you are going to get to your contract in central London during the week.

All five methods have their disadvantages, as follows. Just wondering what you do, and if you have any other approaches?

1. Taxi to the nearest station, then train in to London: Expensive taxi.
    2. Drive into London and park there: Expensive parking, congestion charge etc.
    3. Drive to a small station, park, then train to London: Time consuming waiting for infrequent local train + long trip.
    4. Drive to a large town and park in the suburbs: Long walk from car to station + risk of vandalism.
    5. Get the bird to drive you to the station: Great, but you get a bellyful of earache!

Cycle to the nearest station?

Comment

Don't live in the arse end of no where?

Where I am I am on the out skirts of Leeds, mainline (York - Leeds) railway station within walking distance with frequent services, also 5 mins drive into the countryside and all the benefits of that.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Cycle to the nearest station?
        Do what my parents did.

Buy a run-down house in a posh location by the station. Walk to station.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
          OK it is an expression I made up. But what it means is that if you live out in the sticks at the weekend, as I do, you have to work out how you are going to get to your contract in central London during the week.

All five methods have their disadvantages, as follows. Just wondering what you do, and if you have any other approaches?

1. Taxi to the nearest station, then train in to London: Expensive taxi.
          2. Drive into London and park there: Expensive parking, congestion charge etc.
          3. Drive to a small station, park, then train to London: Time consuming waiting for infrequent local train + long trip.
          4. Drive to a large town and park in the suburbs: Long walk from car to station + risk of vandalism.
          5. Get the bird to drive you to the station: Great, but you get a bellyful of earache!
          Option 5 plus these

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I cycle. Cycle to station in sticks in morning, take bike on train to Waterloo, cycle to office (could leave bike at local station and get Boris bike if cycle not allowed on train). Going home do the reverse.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
              Ask your cleaner to give you a lift.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Ask your cleaner to give you a lift.
                She doesn't drive.
                But that would be a way for her to repay the sexual favours I give her

Comment

Driving to London can often be cheaper than taking the train. There are a number of car parks on the edge of the CC zone, from where you can walk to your destination or take public transport/taxi, just as you would from a mainline station.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

I paid a lot of money to get a house 400 yards from a station, 1 mile to a motorway intersection and a 15 minute train ride to an airport and ten minutes into the countryside. Location, location location
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X