• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Planning permission for decking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning permission for decking

Want to install some raised decking in my garden where I'm going to put a summerhouse.

All well and good I thought. Specced it all up to find that you need planning permission for anything over 1 foot high.

That's full blown planning permission, not building regs. Have to draw up plans and submit them, pay a fee (£150) and then wait months on end for the approval.

This has been the case since 2008.

Fecking Nu Labour

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    Want to install some raised decking in my garden where I'm going to put a summerhouse.

All well and good I thought. Specced it all up to find that you need planning permission for anything over 1 foot high.

That's full blown planning permission, not building regs. Have to draw up plans and submit them, pay a fee (£150) and then wait months on end for the approval.

This has been the case since 2008.

Fecking Nu Labour
    You are aware that concrete paving and decking are a cause for the current draught. There is less ground for water to soak into so it simply evaporates away.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I thought you only needed planning permission where it is within 6 feet of a neighbour property?

Though I believe 99% of the sheds in this country are technically flouting planning laws.

Comment

Since it is not a permanent structure I can't see why PP is involved
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I thought you only needed planning permission where it is within 6 feet of a neighbour property?
          Not according to this

Putting up decking, or other raised platforms, in your garden is permitted development, not needing an application for planning permission, providing:

The decking is no more than 30cm above the ground

Together with other extensions, outbuildings etc, the decking or platforms cover no more than 50 per cent of the garden area.

Comment

Hmmm. Glad I put mine up before 2008. You can't do anything these days without permission, conforming to some 900 page government document or paying for some bloody safety check.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Surely you don't need planning permission to go to Bridgwater ?
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Wouldn't you be better off putting in some soundproofing?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  I think he's aiming to make the house so chavtastic his neighbour moves away.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Pardon? Wotcha on about?

Comment

Working...
                    X