• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you buy lottery tickets?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It does give you something to look forward to and dream about, perhaps with your spouse. That's got to be worth a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Lottery is a tax on the stupid in the same way speed camera's are a tax on motorists, you have a choice not to pay.
      That's a daft analogy, with speed cameras you don't find one person gets rewarded with the fines from others... over 50% of the lottery money goes to prizes so it's more a redistribution of wealth.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

My mate always has a little dig at the people in front of him queuing in front of him to pay their stupid tax while he's waiting to buy his fags.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          I usually spend £10-£20 when the Euromillions gets > a lot or there's a decent Rollover. Don't bother otherwise. I don't intellectualise it, it's only a bit of fun.
          WLS.

Last time I bought Euromillions tickets was when those fat pykies in Largs won £161M.

Has to be a super huge rollover for me to be interested.

I know the odds are ridiculous, but once in a while it doesn't hurt. Not like £20 is most of my weeks benefits is it.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

You've got to be in it to win it !

A syndicate in my local pub won £70k. I hadn't given over my £2 that week.

A few years before, the landlord won £90k

Those bus drivers who won £36m are less than a bus ride away from me.

Yes, I do buy tickets. As I approach a certain age, I know now that I won't get rich through my own endeavours. So it's a bit of fun that allows me to dream. And no amount of calling me stupid on here will make me change

Comment

Missus spends about £10 every 2 months or so.

Never won a thing.

Comment

I've had £500 worth of Premium Bonds since 2004 (a gift) and have still haven't won a penny on them.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Lottery is a tax on the stupid in the same way speed camera's are a tax on the stupid too, you have a choice not to buy lottery tickets and to not speed.
                  FTFY

Comment

Bit of harmless fun. Mainly participate when the numbers look too tempting to avoid.

To be frank, watching those game shows when someone goes insane about winning £20k, I think 'would it really be worth it'? Not for me.

Comment

In terms of expected returns, lottery tickets are probably slightly less daft than buying a brand new car?

I cannot remember if I ever bought a ticket myself. Maybe I will in honour of this thread... imagine the look on DP's face if one of us paupers won big!
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X