• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First day of spring!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy spring all (even though I thought it started tomorrow).

Sun shining and warm here.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Some people got all hoity toity on here last time I mentioned spring starting around the equinox. Or perhaps it was that start of summer being on mid-summers day. Anyway, for the weathermen, spring started on the 1st March, even if most calendars show it as starting around 20/21/22 of March.

I learnt that statistically the coldest day in the northern hemisphere is 19 January, so having winter ending only 2 weeks later does seem a tad premature. I'm more inclined to go with the Yank and more old fashioned date of the spring equinox too.
      6 weeks later surely?

That puts the coldest day in the middle of a winter that ends on 1 March, which seems reasonable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        Spring is sprung
        The grass is riz
        I wonder where the boidies is?
        They say the boids is on the wing.
        That's absoid! The wings is on the boid.

Summer's on its way folks!
        I like that poem. Used to get quoted that as a kid.

I believe you are a day early though.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          6 weeks later surely?

That puts the coldest day in the middle of a winter that ends on 1 March, which seems reasonable to me.
          Oops, yes. 1st march seems about right after all.

Comment

Happy Vernal Equinox everybody!

For those thinking it's tomorrow: the Equinoxes and Solstices change time and thus sometimes date each year due to the fact that the Earth doesn't orbit the Sun in exactly one year. So some years the Vernal Equinox will be on the 20th, other years on the 21st

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Happy Vernal Equinox everybody!

For those thinking it's tomorrow: the Equinoxes and Solstices change time and thus sometimes date each year due to the fact that the Earth doesn't orbit the Sun in exactly one year. So some years the Vernal Equinox will be on the 20th, other years on the 21st
              Smug git.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

British Summer Time starts on the 25th, so things are really starting to crack on towards more clement weather.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Smug git.
                  Just at one with the cosmos

I think it was in 1987 that a load of us (more than five hundred I reckon) turned up at Stonehenge preparing to celebrate the Winter Solstice on 21st December. The English Heritage folk got terribly confused, as the previous year it had been on the 20th. They were fine with opening up the stones to us once they'd realised their mistake, and a good, if extremely cold, time was had by all

Comment

Working...
                  X