• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone used 'Red' Diesel in their Cars?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used 'Red' Diesel in their Cars?

Please take out of the equation that this stuff is half the price of 'White' diesel, and avoid a laborious amount of 'pay your taxes' responses - has anyone tried 'Red' Diesel in their on or off road vehicles?

I'm quite aware that one is not allowed to use this stuff on the road and you risk getting 'dipped' and fined, but are there any drawbacks to using this stuff on modern diesel engines?

Thanks

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Please take out of the equation that this stuff is half the price of 'White' diesel, and avoid a laborious amount of 'pay your taxes' responses - has anyone tried 'Red' Diesel in their on or off road vehicles?

I'm quite aware that one is not allowed to use this stuff on the road and you risk getting 'dipped' and fined, but are there any drawbacks to using this stuff on modern diesel engines?

Thanks
    'No' I haven't. I am led to believe that it does no damage at all.

Not trying to post a tax thing, this is one offence they do tend to allocate serious bumming time at the local youth and pikey training academy.

If I 'were' to have used it, I would ensure I used only enough for what I wanted to do, and very quickly top up with ordinary fuel.

Comment

Thanks
      Yes it doesn't meet the quality of standard modern diesel.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Yes it doesn't meet the quality of standard modern diesel.
        Thats actually not true at all; it is exactly the same with red dye in it. It even has all the additives, or would you expect farmers to pile this tulip into their £200k farm machinery and land rovers

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
          'No' I haven't. I am led to believe that it does no damage at all.

Not trying to post a tax thing, this is one offence they do tend to allocate serious bumming time at the local youth and pikey training academy.

If I 'were' to have used it, I would ensure I used only enough for what I wanted to do, and very quickly top up with ordinary fuel.
          Yes it's treated well seriously. A local builder got caught with red in his Transit van, tried to claim he'd just used enough to get from site (where red was used for heavy machinery) to a filling station, but got clobbered with an extremely large fine.

Apparently the dye gets into the filters so they can get you that way if they really want to.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Thanks
            Never, and don't do it. The DVLA and HMCR do roadside spot checks. I have seen them in London and Salisbury and I have seen them confiscate cars on the spot.
            If you want a cheaper alternative you can use WVO or SVO on older cars or process biodiesel yourself for HDIs. The tax free limit is 2500 litres per year.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Go ahead, remove the red dye if you want to. It also has a UV marker in it and the C&E chaps will have you doing bird in no time. They can even pickup the UV marker from the exhaust fumes without dipping the tank.

Comment

Some redneck on ‘Road Wars’ got pulled for it; the wreck he was driving gave the game away.
                one day at a time

Comment

PS.

Running cars on red diesel, making cheap phone calls, family holidays for £600, sleeping in vans, can't afford to heat your homes.

WTF has happened to IT Contractors and "Contractor Lifestyle"?

Comment

It will work fine, but why do you want to know?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X