• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Magnetic water softeners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Vinegar is great for descaling such stuff such as taps, kettle, and, I hear, the dish washer.
    It is indeed, and much cheaper than descaler.

And don't forget to empty the kettle when it's done. Or alternatively, like me, leave it in there so your ex-wife can make her usual cup of tea with.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      £30?
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

£30?
        POTD!

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
          It is indeed, and much cheaper than descaler.

And don't forget to empty the kettle when it's done. Or alternatively, like me, leave it in there so your ex-wife can make her usual cup of tea with.
          I descaled my taps using vinegar the other week. Limescale had built up on the tips of the taps and was laughing in the face of the descaler, so a little bag of vinegar tied to the taps and left overnight got them gleaming without any rubbing and multiple fruitless goes. A big bottle of basics vinegar only costs 10 or 20p, so the cost is quite modest compared to £zillions with descaler. It supposedly good for general household cleaning too.

Comment

£30?
            Doh.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              I descaled my taps using vinegar the other week. Limescale had built up on the tips of the taps and was laughing in the face of the descaler, so a little bag of vinegar tied to the taps and left overnight got them gleaming without any rubbing and multiple fruitless goes. A big bottle of basics vinegar only costs 10 or 20p, so the cost is quite modest compared to £zillions with descaler. It supposedly good for general household cleaning too.
              A good top tip TimberWolf, but remember to open the windows once done, otherwise your guests will think they've walked into the local Harry Ramsdens.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                A good top tip TimberWolf, but remember to open the windows once done, otherwise your guests will think they've walked into the local Harry Ramsdens.
                It's supposedly an air freshener too. I'm sure there must be sites dedicated to the powers of vinegar, it's the duct tape of the cleaning world.

Comment

When we moved in to the new house I had an in-line magnetic descaler installed, It should have lasted a year or so, and to test if it made a difference after the first year I did not renew it, I have to say that I have not noticed any benefit.

I know people who have the electric versions & they rate them highly, but cost a lot more.
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

I put one of these around our water inlet pipe when we moved into our new house (back in 97 it was new). Never had a problem with limescale.

Of course, I don't know if we would have had a problem if I didn't
                    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
                      Of course, I don't know if we would have had a problem if I didn't

Comment

Working...
                      X