• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone been successful in claiming back PPI on their credit card ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    And what if, as happened to a lot of people (such as me) someone simply ticked a small box at the bottom of a form and sent you a bill for this thing you didn't want, you'd want your money back wouldn't you? And if someone told you that you had to buy Y when you bought X but it turned out they were lying? Would they have a case to answer then?
    But you said it was a "pre checked box"?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      But you said it was a "pre checked box"?
      Yes, they tick it without asking and then give you the form to sign.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
        I've noticed that there are many firms out there that think that they can 'help' you make a claim; are these firms to be avoided or used in the first instance ?

If tempted to use one of these companies make sure you find out the actual fees they'll be charging. My mum used one to reclaim PPI on a loan and they wanted 30% + vat (so nearer 35% all in) for basically filling in a form.

You can do it yourself very easily, see the Consumer Action Group or Money Saving Expert sites for info and forms.

Worth doing if you think you have a case as currently the banks have billions set aside to pay out with, so a decision is usually fairly quick and straightforward as they're clearing all the claims to reduce further operating costs.

If you have no joy with the claim you can refer it to the Financial Ombudsmen who have an obligation to investigate and make a ruling on each individual case. Though with the number of claims in the system they say it could take up to a year to get a ruling.

I know all this from both my parents making PPI claims in the last year.

My mum had 8k paid back on a loan she kept topping up over a 15 year period (IIRC the PPI amounted to almost 30% of the loan repayments over that period). Fortunately the sharks handling her claim only knew about the last segment of the loan as the agreement number kept changing, so only got a fraction of what they are entitled to in contract terms. Sod em.

My dad is currently awaiting the Financial Ombudsmen ruling as the PPI he made a claim on after becoming too ill to work was supposed to repay the outstanding credit card amount but as the credit card company continued charging interest after the PPI was activated there was a significant shortfall and it's this that is in dispute. He's hoping the ruling will be he gets all the PPI back even though he's made a semi-successful use of the insurance.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Yes, they tick it without asking and then give you the form to sign.
          So, you let someone, tick a box, on a form, in front of you, and you signed it.

Comment

Working...
          X