• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car engine cut out & crashed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Manual, Toyota Rav 4, Petrol.

Comment

Just taken it for a spin. Seems that the engine is ticking over properly while idling and just sort of dies. So I must have been going too slowly while turning. There's no splutter it just sort of goes quiet and then dies. Will drop at the garage.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Car had been off the road for a few weeks(one when I cycled to work), the second when I was away. When we got back, flat battery. It's the second time it had happened so I had the AA out to fit a new battery last night.

Jump in this morning and it starts fine, drive a few miles. Sounds like it needs a bit of oil, turn a corner albeit at about 10 miles an hour & all of a sudden the steering locks, the wheel won't turn and I go straight into a wall. Luckily I wasn't going very fast and was able to brake so no real damage. Then I notice that the engine has died!!!

I've parked up now. Is this related to the battery or probably just needed a longer run? If it does it when I'm going faster I could be in a lot of trouble???

Any ideas?
        Okay, so the power steering needs the engine to be on to work. So essentially your engine cut out first and then the steering locked and would not work. If you had instantly restarted the engine you would have steered okay.

Happened to me a few times and all I had to do was turn the key back in and carry on.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

One on't cross beams gone owt askew on treddle.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
            One on't cross beams gone owt askew on treddle.

well, ahll gor t' foot of our stairs
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Oh, the water pump will probably be driven by the toothed belt wot drives the cam.

Guess what happens if the waterpump seizes.

Also the power steering pump (what this rav probably hasn't got) usually has a separate belt to the alternator.

Dunno about the aircon compressor though.
              You are probably right on the Water pump (I was thinking of the time I changed the pump on an astra) but whether the steering is driven by an independent belt depends on the model, some have one belt..

"The Toyota engine uses a serpentine belt to rotate many of the accessories of the engine, such as the air conditioning compressor, the alternator, the power steering pump ."

Others have two.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                Okay, so the power steering needs the engine to be on to work. So essentially your engine cut out first and then the steering locked and would not work. If you had instantly restarted the engine you would have steered okay.

Happened to me a few times and all I had to do was turn the key back in and carry on.
                This is bulltulip, its called power assisted steering. The steering still works in the event of the assistance failing, it might feel heavier when the car is stopped but it would be fine while the car was moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  I had one snap on me on the motorway once, first the electrical warning lights came on then the steering became heavy, then it died.
                  You are a very unlucky person Baggy, do you know that?

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                    This is bulltulip, its called power assisted steering. The steering still works in the event of the assistance failing, it might feel heavier when the car is stopped but it would be fine while the car was moving.
                    He's obviously too weedy to turn the wheel without assistance. Worse than the steering is that you lose the brake assistance too, although you usually get some time and a couple of pumps of the pedal before that happens.

If the steering really did lock, there's no way I'd be driving anywhere. Stop where you are and get it trailered to a garage.

I vaugely remember a story of somebody cutting the engine "to save fuel" and "stop global warming" whilst going downhill and then finding he was unable to steer or brake.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I see the fixes that admin made to your car have worked then.

Comment

Working...
                      X