• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wheeler Dealers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheeler Dealers

I've watched a couple of episodes and while I like the way the bloke manages to tart the cars up, I fail to see the point when they take a car, have a mechanic work full time on it and manage to turn a 'profit' of £500 or so.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    I've watched a couple of episodes and while I like the way the bloke manages to tart the cars up, I fail to see the point when they take a car, have a mechanic work full time on it and manage to turn a 'profit' of £500 or so.
    It's about making a profit innit.

By brother was a mechanic for 20 years, doing up cars & selling them on making a little profit each time. He's now a millionaire. Though I think thats more to do with inheritance his wife got.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Get the missus on a mechanics course at college, and she could be making £500 a day tightening nuts and lubricating rods.

Comment

The hours of labour and the cost of the garage and tools he has doesn't seem to make it worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
          The hours of labour and the cost of the garage and tools he has doesn't seem to make it worthwhile.
          Errr, do you think they might get paid to make the program?

Just asking, like.

It's not just about the making of money, useful tips can be learned by watching the program.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post

Just asking, like.

It's not just about the making of money, useful tips can be learned by watching the program.
            Good point. Not everything on telly is a fly on the wall doc.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post

Just asking, like.

But that was my point - a show to show you him restoring some old banger where he has access to every tool available and is obviously a skilled mechanic and he manages to turn a profit of a few hundred pounds - after days and days of work. Does not really seem worthwhile.

Essentially saying look I have all this kit and I'm this good and I can only make a couple of hundred quid after a load of work. Why bother is the message I take from it
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

But that was my point - a show to show you him restoring some old banger where he has access to every tool available and is obviously a skilled mechanic and he manages to turn a profit of a few hundred pounds - after days and days of work. Does not really seem worthwhile.
                Whatever.

Comment

Essentially saying look I have all this kit and I'm this good and I can only make a couple of hundred quid after a load of work. Why bother is the message I take from it
                  Sounds like an episode of the Apprentice.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I think the point is that you can. Some people like this sort of thing.

My old man takes old trailers, replaces the knackered parts and sells them on. He makes maybe a £100 a time. THen again he's retired and it keeps him busy so we all just go along with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X