Question to landlords... claiming on insurance due to tenants trashing the place Question to landlords... claiming on insurance due to tenants trashing the place
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 51

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

Default Question to landlords... claiming on insurance due to tenants trashing the place

Our tenants have out of the blue left, in fact the agent literally got the key through the letterbox one morning. The house and garden is in a disgusting state, they have pinched all the white goods and other stuff (even curtains FFS), and done horrible unauthorised decorations and alterations.
    A thorough clean and a bit of touching up would come under expected wear & tear, especially in this deprived area, but this is just ridiculous.

So we're contacting our insurers but I've no experience making a claim to know what to expect. Any advice or anecdotes from those who let property would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Seriously Banned

Troll is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Our tenants have out of the blue left, in fact the agent literally got the key through the letterbox one morning. The house and garden is in a disgusting state, they have pinched all the white goods and other stuff (even curtains FFS), and done horrible unauthorised decorations and alterations.
    A thorough clean and a bit of touching up would come under expected wear & tear, especially in this deprived area, but this is just ridiculous.

So we're contacting our insurers but I've no experience making a claim to know what to expect. Any advice or anecdotes from those who let property would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
    what kind of deposit did you have?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Seriously Banned

Troll is NOT a disguised employee

Oh and I know of a landlord whose tenants who did a flit similar to yours... the feckers took the PVC windows and front door with them!
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

d000hg - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    what kind of deposit did you have?
    Only a couple of weeks', since it's let by the week. About enough to cover the last bit of rent they didn't pay. Actually that's another thing to add to the list, again on its own chasing 2-3 weeks' rent is pointless but if we're making a claim...

Lord of Ruin

Diver is NOT a disguised employee

on my last (and only claim) the first thing the insurers asked was size of deposit and who was protecting the deposit. it wasnt in a government protected scheme (as below) so they pointed to the conditions of insurance and refused to pay out.

Home - Deposit Protection Service

Deposit Protection Scheme | Service for Landlords, Agents and Tenants | My Deposits

Strangely enough, I changed the property insurer and it was not a requirement under the new insurers T&C's although I have now joined a scheme as it is a legal requirement
    Confusion is a natural state of being

d000hg - scorchio!

Deposit is in DPS. In fact I thought that was a legal requirement now although how far back that goes I couldn't say.

Banned

wim121 has no reputation

Ive heard similar things before. One guy/landlord I worked with, even had tenants steal the boiler and copper piping! Fecking pikies huh?!

I would be wary of claiming on your insurance, your premiums may rise a lot. Much more than a days cleaning and white emulsion.

Although this can happen sometimes, get a better agent, one that does proper checks, guarantees your rental income, etc etc. They may charge a couple of percent more, but that is better than redecorating each time.

d000hg - scorchio!

It's an area where most are DSS (on benefits) so checking for a better class of tenant is a bit difficult.

Also, you're right on one point - with it being a low-end area it doesn't have to be a high-end finish. getting all the piles of rubbish cleared, the place thoroughly cleaned and quickly painted, and the garden trimmed back probably isn't that expensive. Any one thing we'd not think about claiming, but all together it's a fair amount of stuff.

Maybe get a quote from a local guy who knows what's expected in these kind of places rather than for a middle-class finish

AtW is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Only a couple of weeks', since it's let by the week.
    You let the place by the week?

Godlike

Bunk 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    You let the place by the week?
    He's probably got a sofa you could have