• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody planning permission!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody planning permission!

Planning to convert my garage to a room.

Flippin council have come back and said I need to have 3 spaces out of the front of my house to compensate. Seems a bit much.

After all, if I had a terraced house I'd have zero spaces. And in reality I've never put car in the garage anyway - it wont fit!

As it is I can fit three cars in front of house. Two on existing driveway and one on gravel but it needs to be 'hard paved'. Why does it matter to council what the paving is?

Flippin neighbour tried to complain as well saying I'd drive over his garden if three cars were parked there. Luckily council disagreed.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

The theory is the greater the space in a property then the more people who live there, therefore the greater the parking requirement, the council is trying to get parked cars off the roads. It’s a standard requirement for many councils
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

lift

HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

... As it is I can fit three cars in front of house. Two on existing driveway and one on gravel but it needs to be 'hard paved'. Why does it matter to council what the paving is? ...
        I thought they were trying to _discourage_ paving, so more of the rainwater soaks into the earth instead of all pouring straight down the drain and causing floods somewhere downstream.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          I thought they were trying to _discourage_ paving, so more of the rainwater soaks into the earth instead of all pouring straight down the drain and causing floods somewhere downstream.
          you are correct (albeit they restrict solid paving): the solution is permeable hard paving: normally those little blocks with sand / small stones in the joints
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
            The theory is the greater the space in a property then the more people who live there, therefore the greater the parking requirement, the council is trying to get parked cars off the roads. It’s a standard requirement for many councils
            The roads that I pay my road tax you mean. :-)

Thing is how many people use a garage. My house comes with two spaces and a garage. I have never used the garage.

I put chippings down over the grass a few years ago to make another but not good enough apparently.....

I reckon they should make people who live in terraced houses knock through their front room and turn it into a garage so they dont have to park on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
              you are correct (albeit they restrict solid paving): the solution is permeable hard paving: normally those little blocks with sand / small stones in the joints
              All they are specifying is 'hard paving'/

Comment

Oh don't get me started on Planning Permissions!

When I applied for PP for a detached Quad garage 2 years ago, the council approved it no problems - no complaints received. When I came to build it, I decided to make it 16 feet tall instead of 15 feet tall as I decided to put a mezanine floor and convert it to a gym and the roof space would only leave 1.8 metres which is not tall enough for me to stand up in so made it 2.0 metres instead.

Rear neighbours complained and re-submitted PP application and its now in the system somewhere though had a visit from Council who said they had had many complaints.

We'll have to see the outcome later this month to see what happens.

Comment

Im sure some people have nothing better to that complain about planning permission.

I've got a shared driveway and, OK I did do it, but swinging the car into space in front of house was difficult and I ended up driving over about 3" of neighbours lawn at the edge. Not that it was a proper lawn - it was a complete state and it was never ever mown. To be honest, didn't think he was that bothered about it.

Until one day he built some wooden planter boxes thing and placed them spot on his boundary and right to the edge so I couldn't do it any more. Oh well, all he had to do was ask me and I would have made sure I didnt drive over and got it sorted for him. I thought OK if he wants to be like that and forgot about it.

It seems now hes objected to my plan telling council I "regularly" drive over his lawn and damage his property and therefore thinks another car space would make things worse. Luckily council said bollax to him. To be honest, I cant do it now because the aforementioned box has been there for about a year.

Tempted (not that its big enough) to drive on his lawn and pull a few handbrake turns for a laugh. Would be fun.

Hes got an amateur radio mast that is huge and I never checked its allowed. Lets hope hes not sneaked that one in. Never know....

Comment

There is a miserable old guy near where I live who is actually banned from the local council office and is not allowed to object to planning permission. This is because he used to spend all his time objecting to everything in the local area even if it had nothing to do with him.

He even objected to my dad applying to build a large greenhouse in our back garden and he couldn't even see the bloody thing! Let's just say he isn't the most likeable person in the village!

Comment

Working...
                    X