• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Was Galileo a liar?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was Galileo a liar?

If all this planets rotating and circling the sun stuff is correct how come Venus is always in the same place, slightly to the right as I come out of my front door? How come Orion is always just ahead as I walk up the hill to the pub?

Can any CUK astronomers explain it?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    You should ask Sir Patrick Moore about Spanish Inquisition ...
    Last edited by AtW; 2 May 2012, 17:40.

Comment

atW, that link gives Matt cartoon, "You are lost". Probably about right, last night I calculated where Venus should be before starting out for the pub and ended up in Leeds.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

If all this planets rotating and circling the sun stuff is correct how come Venus is always in the same place, slightly to the right as I come out of my front door? How come Orion is always just ahead as I walk up the hill to the pub?

You go to the pub at the same time every day?

Neither will stay in the same place but for different reasons. Venus is a planet and will over time move across the night sky and sometimes show retrograde movement as it stops and seems to move backwards, down to relative positions and orbital velocities.

As for Orion or any other constellation these are fixed and only show up in a different place depending on the time of year as the Earth tilts on it's axis in orbit around the Sun. Orion will be higher in the sky (or rise earlier), in winter for instance.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

What about Uranus?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            What about Uranus?

It was only a matter of time
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              What about Uranus?

This rises in the morning at the same time as you do every day. It may lower once or twice a day, but will invariably rise again. at night it goes down the same time as you do, but may rise during the night.
              NASA may be sending a probe to Uranus this year, but the concern is that it may burn up on entry
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

It's Zeity juggling on his mothership!
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

of course, the earths axis doesn't tilt as it goes around the sun

the earths axis is tilted, and the earth spins on its axis, as it goes around the sun.

and the earths tilted axis , does wobble, but decadaly. ish.

difficult to explain , without pictures

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    difficult to explain , without pictures
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X