• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview Response Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    All monkeys are equal

Indeed - a perfect example of the Oxford comma being required to make things clear
    clearly I was advising that he shouldn't fret and have balls of steel, he should have balls of steel whilst not fretting. I have never met anyone who fretted whilst sporting balls of steel, and I would never recommend that. I suppose a Bhuddist might not fret and not have balls of steel

sort of khama down, khama down

what were we on about again ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      clearly I was advising that he shouldn't fret and have balls of steel, he should have balls of steel whilst not fretting. I have never met anyone who fretted whilst sporting balls of steel, and I would never recommend that. I suppose a Bhuddist might not fret and not have balls of steel

sort of khama down, khama down

what were we on about again ?

"Develop balls of steel and don't fret" would have been unambiguous, and not required use of the controversial Oxford comma.

I imagine steel balls would be rather uncomfortable and may clang when walking which probably isn't going to create the right impression at an interview.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        "Develop balls of steel and don't fret" would have been unambiguous, and not required use of the controversial Oxford comma.
        True,
        how about, 'dont worry too much if you have any setbacks and try to grow a thick skin to armour you against the slings and arrows of outrageous agents'
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post

I imagine steel balls would be rather uncomfortable and may clang when walking which probably isn't going to create the right impression at an interview.

It's a metaphor, I am not saying grow actual, prima facia steel balls. I mean grow a thick skin when it comes to dealing with agents. I dont mean literally grow a thick skin, I mean armour yourself

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

I mean armour yourself

I thought we'd agreed that clanking was a no-no.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
              What about guinea pigs?
              All guinea pigs are also equal, and sum to 180°

Comment

Hi Ashley,

Same thing happened to me. i've been in contracting for over 4 years but most of that has been the same contract, so i've just had my first real time on the bench. It became depressing, applying for jobs every day, speaking with agents, gradually learning their pattern of BS vs good leads, CV going off to multiple companies, never hearing anything back, all the while running out of money... It does come right in the end though - I eventually got one last week, I start on Monday.

So stick with it, something will turn up - it only takes one hit and you're sorted for maybe another 12 months. Maybe use the downtime to study something new - I got a new vendor certification last week, so at the very least i acheived one small thing while wasting all those days on the jobsites.

Comment

It can vary. Current contract was offered during the telephone interview. On the other hand, I interviewed for a contract in 2006 and still awaiting feedback from the agent .

Good luck

HTH

O Rose esq.
                  one day at a time

Comment

Bottom line is that if there's any positive news the pimp _will_ get back to you immediately, after hunting you down to the ends of the Earth with a pack of bloodhounds if necessary, to tell you the good news and ask when you can start.

With no news, there's obviously no point in contacting them, or v.v. With bad news they'll hardly ever let you know either, even if you phone and ask. The reasons for this are (I imagine) either why waste time and money on a phone call or (if the clientco feedback was positive but someone else was slightly better) to string you along until they have another suitable opportunity to put you forward for.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I only send my CV to known jobs, rather than spray it around, then follow it up within the hour with a phone call.
                      If there are no good vibes within 24 hours I write it off.

when I am looking, I will go after about eight a day.

treat it like a production line, dont fret, and develop balls of steel
                      WHS . Its the same for me too (when it does actually bloody happen)

Comment

Working...
                      X