• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corrupt Indian IT bank workers selling YOUR bank details !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bank Call Centre workers selling personal account detail

DBNO std reply.

E.g I spoke to a fcuking idiot in a call centre in India.

Response - Racist.

Or, the software dev has been done in India by complete idiots.

Response - Racist.

etc.

Comment

No more chicken Chennai (Madras)

Went and got the Sun today for the first time in ages just to read about this. Apparently it's not what it seems to be. Firstly the details appear to have come not from a specific bank's customer database (after all Barclays, RBS/NatWest, HBOS/Halifax and Nationwide haven't 'offshored' to India yet, as opposed to Lloyds/TSB, HSBC, Capital One and others that have) but from payments made from UK customer accounts held in whatever bank/building society, together with proofs of ID, passwords, etc.
      To me it sounds like an insurance co db rather than a bank which has taken payments from UK accounts and credit or debit cards. Take one guess (biggest group that has changed its name so many times, no one knows what it is now) for the culprit.
      Bad or amateurish journalism in this case, however it's done the trick and more to the point Alistair and Tony have read it (first paper they read in the morning). Hope it results in thousands of cancelled policies for the (hope they reveal it) culprit company.
      While we are at it, let's all stop eating Indian for a month (OK, a week) from the dubious takeaways all over the UK. I suppose this might be considered racist (What does DBNO think ?)

Comment

Re: No more chicken Chennai (Madras)

Barclays have.

And they got Accenture to their dirty work and Offshore a load of Development roles as well.

All at it.

Comment

A couple of comments....

"What is the difference between Indian workers selling data and UK workers selling it?"

At least some of the money will probably stay in the local economy.... well at least UK Plc will get some tax back on it. I reckon Gordon Brown will want to legalise burglary - but institute a windfall tax per bag marked 'Swag' and 500% VAT on eyemasks.

"Passport and Driving Licence details - not held by banks."

Not so sure about that - virtually everything I have had to do recently - signing a contract, opening a bank account, selling my house - has involved sending a copy of my passport. This was to 'comply with new money laundering / anti terrorism legislation'.

My Irish flatmate had to take her passport, and proof she had a tenancy agreement from me, as well as her past bank statements, letter from her employer etc to open a current account in the UK. And she is obviously a UK citizen.

Reminds me of the time I went to the London passport office, and being the only obviously English person there, was subjected to 45 minutes of questions while people who couldnt speak english were guided to desks where three people sat who spoke most asian languages and had no problems getting it all sorted in 15 minutes.

Comment

Valid points from dim and mcq in response to typical bollox on this particular subject from DA. I have to admit that generally DA does not talk bollox sensibly on other subjects, but makes some intelligent comments in a totally bollox way.

Seems long time since you were on here mcq. I know I keep confusing you with that other Mc something whose father lived in Dis and kept ending with "Vote BNP" but perhaps you are not. Or possibly a character in the Simpsons who looks like Arnold Swartznegger. My wife looks like Arnold Swartznegger too, so that makes it statistically much more likely. Sorry about that, I am getting a bit senile these days. Who is?

Comment

DBNO

DBNO std reply.
              Thanks DP. Means I can hold the "au contraire, some of my best friends have spoken to members of an ethnic minority" reply for another time.

Comment

My point xog was that the report about Indian data theft was very very biased. It omitted to say whether the problem of theft was entirely due to bank accounts being managed offshore. I was merely questioning whether this information could have been stolen just as easily by corrupt UK workers.

If that is the case then it does not matter where the call centres are. The issue is a lack of security. Most tabloid stories are "spun" in order to create a reaction rather than give an objective view on what is happening.

Such reports obviously appeal to you lot because "offshoring" is hitting your rates though benefitting companies that use them.

Comment

If that is the case then it does not matter where the call centres are
                  Low paid people in countries with slack or non-existent data protection laws are, in theory, easier to bribe than those who are better paid and/or know the penalties can be harsh. If both UK and Indian staff are equally corrupt, it clearly wouldn't be as easy in the UK as it would cost you more money to prise the information off them.

Comment

Crap IT Systems

I worked on a set up for a telco some years back and they stored in their Oracle Database the addresses, dob, age, maiden name, password, security code etc of each punter and the credit score it produced.

Nothing encrypted and access could be gained to the relevant tables using any Call Centre Advisors login through a DSN from the CRM!!!!

Scandalous.

Comment

Indians are corrupt

Too right, if anyone should be selling on your banking details it should be corrupt UK banking staff. This off-shoring of corruption has got to stop.
                      The guy in the UK can be apprehended by the UK authorities as opposed to corrupt Indian Police.

Comment

Working...
                      X