• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Examples of using your tech skills in real life?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Because you'd fail a CRB or because you'rea lazy git?
    Hey, my paw prints are all over the disclosure system, they let me work on that so...

Becasue I am lazy and I have about 100 things I should be doing. Hardly get time to do anything I want to these days.

Comment

"In real life" I suppose it depends on how "real", e.g. I've never "saved the day" by using my skills.

But, I had fun with this brain teasing puzzle a couple of years ago:
      http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...as-puzzle.html

I've fixed various things with a soldering iron, electrical and jewellery (the latter impresses the ladies!)

A couple of weeks ago I updated my list of DVDs by extracting DVD titles from all my Amazon "order confirmation" emails. Whether maintaining a list of one's DVDs counts as "real life" is debatable!

Yonks ago I had fun pinning a spoof Wikipedia article to the pub notice board, to confirm some local hearsay/folklore. There were several gasps of "wow it really must be true then" !

I create pub quizzes in seconds using Excel.

Photoshopped some amusing images recently to create personalised coffee mug gifts.

If only I didn't have this day job, it really gets in the way of the fun stuff

Comment

I built a neural network to predict the stock market but it was f****g useless.

It was actually fun at the time.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

I wrote hello world in C++ that prints to the screen 1000 times in a loop. Was a bit buggy tho.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            I built a neural network to predict the stock market but it was f****g useless.

It was actually fun at the time.
            But did it predict the timing of your farts though?

Comment

Originally posted by CodeCobbler View Post
              I wrote hello world in C++ that prints to the screen 1000 times in a loop. Was a bit buggy tho.
              and if you step them out a few spaces on each line and scroll then they do a diagonal run up the screen.

I did it in BASIC at Dixons many many years ago when they first put home PC's on display. looked brilliant!
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
              X