Examples of using your tech skills in real life? Examples of using your tech skills in real life?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 36

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

Default Examples of using your tech skills in real life?

MF posted about his nifty TravelLodge Spreadsheet the other week (IIRC). I used my knowledge of HTML to knock up a handy LinkedIn messaging page by inspecting how their pages worked. And we all know about the CUK rep bookmarklet.

What cool things have you done based on knowing how stuff works beneath the hood, whether for websites or desktop or whatever?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Super poster

nomadd is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    MF posted about his nifty TravelLodge Spreadsheet the other week (IIRC). I used my knowledge of HTML to knock up a handy LinkedIn messaging page by inspecting how their pages worked. And we all know about the CUK rep bookmarklet.

What cool things have you done based on knowing how stuff works beneath the hood, whether for websites or desktop or whatever?
    Stripped my running machine down to the ground after it packed-in completely 6 weeks ago. Grabbed the multimeter and the basic electronics knowledge I'd picked up on the "hardware" side of my computer degree all those years ago. Result, one hour later - with the assistance of my Fluke MM - and she was fixed. Been fine ever since. Saved me £800 on a replacement.
    nomadd liked this post

Super poster

oscarose is NOT a disguised employee

Thumbs up

A macro to pick out at random 6 out of 50+ pubs and ‘establishments’ in Leeds for Fridays after work.
    one day at a time

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

I once did a triple heart bypass with a steak knife in a pub - save that fella's life so he had to buy next round.

MF

Godlike

ChimpMaster is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by oscarose View Post
    A macro to pick out at random 6 out of 50+ pubs and ‘establishments’ in Leeds for Fridays after work.
    Many eons ago I developed an Excel VBA app which was used by the IT department as a random number generator for lottery numbers. As well as using it for the National Lottery, we used it for an internal department lottery. Which I seemed to win more often than most

The beerded one

EternalOptimist is NOT a disguised employee

I run my business on a vb app wot I built

it does accounts , vat, trends , reports etc.

I planned my money in an access DB that I built about 15 years ago. savings, interest rates, buying houses, missus retiring, etc
    it has proven to be spot on. It gives a lot of security actually, having a plan, knowing what you have to do and when you have to do it by
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

TykeLike

SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

I managed to change the tapes in my old betmax machine

Milan
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

More fingers than teeth

TimberWolf is too good to be a permie

I used to write programs to help answer just about anything I questioned in the life, the universe and everything, but haven't done so for a while.

Super poster

oscarose is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Many eons ago I developed an Excel VBA app which was used by the IT department as a random number generator for lottery numbers. As well as using it for the National Lottery, we used it for an internal department lottery. Which I seemed to win more often than most
    The macro usually ensured our wallets were empty by the end of the night.
    one day at a time

Lord of Ruin

Diver is NOT a disguised employee

I quite often hold my breath and put my head under the water in the bath and can pull the plug out without surfacing.

Diver
    Confusion is a natural state of being