• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Examples of using your tech skills in real life?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Examples of using your tech skills in real life?

MF posted about his nifty TravelLodge Spreadsheet the other week (IIRC). I used my knowledge of HTML to knock up a handy LinkedIn messaging page by inspecting how their pages worked. And we all know about the CUK rep bookmarklet.

What cool things have you done based on knowing how stuff works beneath the hood, whether for websites or desktop or whatever?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    MF posted about his nifty TravelLodge Spreadsheet the other week (IIRC). I used my knowledge of HTML to knock up a handy LinkedIn messaging page by inspecting how their pages worked. And we all know about the CUK rep bookmarklet.

What cool things have you done based on knowing how stuff works beneath the hood, whether for websites or desktop or whatever?
    Stripped my running machine down to the ground after it packed-in completely 6 weeks ago. Grabbed the multimeter and the basic electronics knowledge I'd picked up on the "hardware" side of my computer degree all those years ago. Result, one hour later - with the assistance of my Fluke MM - and she was fixed. Been fine ever since. Saved me £800 on a replacement.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

A macro to pick out at random 6 out of 50+ pubs and ‘establishments’ in Leeds for Fridays after work.
      one day at a time

Comment

I once did a triple heart bypass with a steak knife in a pub - save that fella's life so he had to buy next round.

MF

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
          A macro to pick out at random 6 out of 50+ pubs and ‘establishments’ in Leeds for Fridays after work.
          Many eons ago I developed an Excel VBA app which was used by the IT department as a random number generator for lottery numbers. As well as using it for the National Lottery, we used it for an internal department lottery. Which I seemed to win more often than most

Comment

I run my business on a vb app wot I built

it does accounts , vat, trends , reports etc.

I planned my money in an access DB that I built about 15 years ago. savings, interest rates, buying houses, missus retiring, etc
            it has proven to be spot on. It gives a lot of security actually, having a plan, knowing what you have to do and when you have to do it by
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I managed to change the tapes in my old betmax machine

Milan
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I used to write programs to help answer just about anything I questioned in the life, the universe and everything, but haven't done so for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Many eons ago I developed an Excel VBA app which was used by the IT department as a random number generator for lottery numbers. As well as using it for the National Lottery, we used it for an internal department lottery. Which I seemed to win more often than most
                  The macro usually ensured our wallets were empty by the end of the night.
                  one day at a time

Comment

I quite often hold my breath and put my head under the water in the bath and can pull the plug out without surfacing.

Diver
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X