• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CXXVII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CXXVII

Commiseration to all those cruelly deprived of an additional day's invoicing by a tyrannical monarch. On the bright side, it gives you plenty of time to enjoy this little lot:
    • Bonus link for music lovers today; you can think of it as a Jubilee Link if you like that sort of thing:
      1. MusOpen - "Put simply, our mission is to set music free." MusOpen aims to do this by providing recordings, textbooks, and sheet music for free. The recordings are by world-class orchestras, and aim to cover the canon of Western classical music, at least to start with. They are currently hosted at the Internet Archive in raw, unmixed form. They will of course be professionally mixed and made available in finished form for free, but if sound engineering is your thing and you've ever fancied the idea of working with the raw recordings of a symphony orchestra, now's your chance

If you just want to listen, you can whet your appetite with:

2. Open Goldberg Variations - "The Open Goldberg Variations by Kimiko Ishizaka are free to download and share. They are governed by the Creative Commons Zero license, which means that they are a part of the public domain." Lots of lovely Bach; there's also a free iPad app so you can follow along with the score, and you can get a double CD of the recordings, also free, by writing and publishing a review

• A quick note on Markov chains, or “where does spam come from?” - "Have you ever wondered why spam has all those hilarious nonsensical strings of words in it? They’re pretty odd constructions… not as random as if you picked words randomly out of a hat, almost grammatical much of the time, but still clearly gibberish." Good succinct explanation of the maths behind garbage.

• Taking Your Talent to the Web - This was Jeffrey Zeldman's original book of advice to designers moving to the new medium, lost to view in the wreckage of the dotcom crash and superseded by his classic Designing with Web Standards; but now here's a piece of web history, re-implemented on the modern web: "Now, in 2012, this wonderful book lives again. Sure, some contents may have settled in shipment, but take a peek under the hood. View the source code and you'll see the latest and greatest HTML5, CSS3, great looking fonts, and so much more."

• ‘Do you feel more Arab or more American?’: Two women’s story of being detained and interrogated at Ben Gurion - "I am an American citizen. I went to American schools my entire life, graduated from an American university and work as an architect in New York City. Why was this happening to me? It all started with a simple question. 'What is your father’s name?'" Welcome to Israel, indeed.

• "Can you solve this problem for me on the whiteboard?" - Great satire on crap technical interviews: "Jim is a great chef... Jim is a bit dumbfounded, both by the request and being asked to demonstrate his cooking ability on a whiteboard."

• DEC PDP-11/35 Restoration - "On Sunday, April 28 2012, I picked up a PDP-11/35 from a friend who had been storing it in a shed for many years. The system has been home to generations of spiders and mice, and needs more than just a little bit of TLC." Seth Morabito's ongoing diary about the restoration. (Many years ago I had a PDP-11/34a, but it took up too much room in a one-bed flat.)

• How the planet got its spots - "Earth has grown in fits and starts. Its oceans, products of giant, moisture-spewing volcanoes, formed quickly, but its continents took hundreds of millions of years to surface—and billions more to acquire a thin layer of green. For eons, the planet veered wildly between extremes, impersonating a range of celestial bodies." Interview with geophysicist Robert Hazen on how life has shaped the geology of our home.

• To Get To The Root Of A Hard Problem, Just Ask “Why” Five Times - Excerpt from Eric Ries's book The Lean Startup: "The core idea of Five Whys is to tie investments directly to the prevention of the most problematic symptoms. The system takes its name from the investigative method of asking the question “Why?” five times to understand what has happened (the root cause)."

• The Overthinking Person’s Drinking Game - Leigh Alexander offers something to do of an evening now that the end of The Apprentice means you can't play the "Yes Lord Sugar" drinking game: "If you spend a long time mulling the nature of ‘deserving’ and what it actually means, and if you can’t really resolve the question of whether anyone specifically ‘deserves’ anything and come to an impasse about chaos and the innate unfairness of life, drink."

• Preparedness 101: Zombie Pandemic - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Disease Control and Prevention present a series of comics on dealing with a Zombie Attack
      (N.B. For you NoScripters, it requires JavaScript; it doesn't attempt to display ads or whizz up your fans by doing stupid crap, so it's safe to whitelist this one.)

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    ...but if sound engineering is your thing and you've ever fancied the idea of working with the raw recordings of a symphony orchestra, now's your chance
    An excellent find Nick, I'll be doing just that later in the year.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      An excellent find Nick, I'll be doing just that later in the year.
      I had a feeling you'd be all over that one

Comment

I had a feeling you'd be all over that one
        Writing, conducting, recording and mixing for a major symphony orchestra is a bit of a buttock clencher, this'll give me head start on mixing.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Writing, conducting, recording and mixing for a major symphony orchestra is a bit of a buttock clencher, this'll give me head start on mixing.
          Incidentally, the Internet Archive now has a very neat trick whereby it can show the contents of compressed archives such as ZIP or .tar.bz on the fly; for example http://ia700504.us.archive.org/zipvi...n_Overture.zip shows us all of the files in that ZIP file as a hyperlinked page, which allows easy access to individual files within the archive, such as http://ia600504.us.archive.org/zipvi...indowImage.jpg which is a screenshot:

Comment

Incidentally, the Internet Archive now has a very neat trick whereby it can show the contents of compressed archives such as ZIP or .tar.bz on the fly; for example Internet Archive: zipview shows us all of the files in that ZIP file as a hyperlinked page, which allows easy access to individual files within the archive, such as http://ia600504.us.archive.org/zipvi...indowImage.jpg which is a screenshot:

That is so cool, let's me know how to set up my DAW before pulling in the files for mixing.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

[*]‘Do you feel more Arab or more American?’: Two women’s story of being detained and interrogated at Ben Gurion - "I am an American citizen. I went to American schools my entire life, graduated from an American university and work as an architect in New York City. Why was this happening to me? It all started with a simple question. 'What is your father’s name?'" Welcome to Israel, indeed.
              Quite interesting. Last time I was working there it took me over 4 hours to get from the entrance of the airport to the plane. I had to go through a number of extra security checks, put into a 'facility' for an hour, everything was taken away and x-ray'ed more than once (they thought it strange I had 2 laptops,) all my clothes including most of what I was wearing was also taken away and to cap it all the kosher food on the El-Al flight was ******* disgusting...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

[*]A quick note on Markov chains, or “where does spam come from?” - "Have you ever wondered why spam has all those hilarious nonsensical strings of words in it? They’re pretty odd constructions… not as random as if you picked words randomly out of a hat, almost grammatical much of the time, but still clearly gibberish." Good succinct explanation of the maths behind garbage.
                What spam from yonder mailbox breaks:

Shall I compare thee to thee.
                Shall I compare thee to time thou wander'st in his shade,
                When in his shade,
                When in his shade,
                When in eternal lines to time thou owest;
                Nor shall not fade
                Nor lose possession of heaven shines,
                And often is his shade,
                When in his gold complexion dimm'd;
                And summer's lease hath all too short a summer's day?
                Thou art more temperate:
                Rough winds do shake the darling buds of that fair sometime declines,
                By chance or eyes can see,
                So long as men can see,
                So long as men can see,
                So
                And summer's lease hath all too short a summer's day?
                Hmm, not bad. With a touch of human input, it might become quite bard-like.

Markov Text Synthesizer
                William Shakespeare Sonnet 18 Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?

Comment

Im still invoicing.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                  X